Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,859 Posts
Been awhile since I tried Pixelmator.

For me the deal breaker was always the lack of a feature similar to the 'select similar' command in PhotoShop. I use this command all the time as skies often require a different treatment than the rest of a photo, and without that feature working around tree branches is a nightmare.

·
Premium Member
18,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Been awhile since I tried Pixelmator.

For me the deal breaker was always the lack of a feature similar to the 'select similar' command in PhotoShop. I use this command all the time as skies often require a different treatment than the rest of a photo, and without that feature working around tree branches is a nightmare.
Their selection tools have had major upgrades over the past several versions. You can download Pixelmator Pro for free and try it out before you buy....

·
Registered
2 Posts
The software I'm designing is very simple in design, so I often create layers that are simple rectangles (a left column, a header bar, etc.). Often I need to quickly change the colour of a rectangle, or turn it into a gradient, or add a border... all things I can do with layer styles. Are there any Pixelmator experts out there that know how I can do this?

·
Premium Member
18,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Androscoggin, you certainly could go the layer styles route. There are many tutorials and examples available at the Pixelmator website.

Here's a review from January on Pixelmator as a Photoshop Replacement.

You might also consider using Keynote! It's more powerful, flexible and useful than people realize:

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvMFu29n1O4[/ame]

·
Premium Member
18,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
FYI, Pixelmator Pro has been updated with expanded support for Adobe PSD files, among other things.

·
Premium Member
1,804 Posts
I've used Photoshop CS3, but since it no longer works on my newer Macs I've switches to Photoshop Elements. I've used Gimp too, but with all it's power it's still lacking some basic features that I use all the time. One feature lacking in Gimp is the ability to draw arrows easily. Another downside with Gimp is that it doesn't have a simple and easy way to convert image files for web use. Photoshop and Elements have a "save for web" feature that is easy and just works. Does Pixelmator have easy arrows and save for web features?

There are a couple of advanced features that I'd like to have as well. Can Pixelmator align layers? This would be useful for focus stacking. Another related feature is image stitching. How good is Pixelmator at image stitching?

·
peek-a-boo
17,353 Posts
It definitely has shapes and a number of easy to use arrows. Plenty of shapes, and you can import more. I have the classic version, I think in the pro version it has align layers perhaps cubamark can verify if he has it.

·
Premium Member
18,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
....and for those interested, another major updated to Pixelmator Pro, and it's on sale (again). Check out the blog post on the new features, and if you are so moved, toss some cash at 'em. This is great software....

·
Premium Member
18,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Pixelmator Pro is on sale again - 50% off (twenty bucks!). I've been impressed with the frequency of updates and the power of this app, which gives me all the tools I need without having to be sucked into the Adobe ecosystem. If you haven't checked it out later, give the trial a go and see if it meets your needs. You might be able to save a few bucks on your subscription.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts