Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.
Trying to send an email from the iPad. I had already updated my new e-address on the Mail account. It accepted the server address and such.
Just tried to send a test note, and I get:
"user name or password for SMTP: (my email) @mail.gmx.com is incorrect."
Uh, no it isn't.
The host name says mail.gmx.com, Primary Server is mail.gmx.com.
Hmm. Am I missing something?
/Mitch.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Disregard post - information is not correct...

mail.gmx.com is the incoming email server.

There should be different email server address for outgoing email (I would guess smtp.gmx.com) which would be needed to send email. So mail is returning an error when you send the message as it doesn't have the right server information.

Sent from my iPhone

·
Registered
853 Posts
Just figured I would search for gmx email settings and mail.gmx.com appears to be the outgoing email server, I'd suggest double checking port settings and double check the password.

Quoted from GMX, so I'd double check the ports for the outgoing email.
Hello everyone,

If you get the message that the SMTP server cannot be reached, then it's possible that your ISP is blocking port 25 for SMTP.

Some ISPs block port 25 and only allow access through this port to their own mail servers, in order to prevent spam abuse.

What you can do instead is to use port 587 as an alternative. Simply reconfigure your email application and where it says port 25 for SMTP, change this to 587. This should work without problems.

Best regards,

Your GMX Moderator

http://forum.gmx.com/forum/posts/list/3638.page#15566

Sent from my iPhone

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
Hi all.
Trying to send an email from the iPad. I had already updated my new e-address on the Mail account. It accepted the server address and such.
Just tried to send a test note, and I get:
"user name or password for SMTP: (my email) @mail.gmx.com is incorrect."
Uh, no it isn't.
The host name says mail.gmx.com, Primary Server is mail.gmx.com.
Hmm. Am I missing something?
/Mitch.
I have a first gen iPad running the latest iOS. I just signed up for a GMX account. Then I went into the mail settings on the iPad. Tapped on new account. Typed in my GMX address and password. That's all it wanted. I can both send and receive from the GMX account in the mail app.

Are you running the latest iOS?

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Deleted the account, started from scratch. All's well. Just had the password disconnect. Sorry for being obtrusive. And stupid.
/M.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.