Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use the OSX mail program to monitor and read incoming email, but it does not take them off the server. To do that, I use Netscape 7.1. Every once in a while, Netscape will dowload an email that the OSX program did not receive or recognize. Anyone else notice this?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sinc, I have been using Mail for some time and have some other issues with it, but have not noticed that it has missed downloading emails.
Regarding your comment about removing your mail from the server, I think that if you go into "preferences /accounts" and then by choosing your account, you can go to "edit/advanced" to make your choice as to when you want your email removed from the server.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Wavesmith, and by the way, welcome to ehMac. I know how to set mail to take it off the server, I just prefer to run it as a monitor, since it tells me every time I get an email while I am online. I then use Netscape 7.1, which I have used for years, to manage and file all my email. When you have used Macs since 1988, and Netscape was the first alternative out there to Microsoft, old habits die hard.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Great Sinc. Don't lose those old habits. I have a few of my own. I finally recently parted with my original 48k Apple IIe which was the source of a lot of enjoyment. I am still using one of my original Basic programs that I have converted through multiple operating systems over the years. I also began to use Netscape last week and am quite pleased with it. It seems to be as fast as Safari and no compatibility problems with any of the sites that I visit.

·
Registered
155 Posts
> Every once in a while, Netscape will dowload an email
> that the OSX program did not receive or recognize.

Interesting. Is it because the messages are marked as Junk by OS X Mail and shifted to the Junk folder?

SMc

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No Sandy, they are not emails that were flagged as "junk" but in thinking about it, I may have found a possible reason. Say after dowloading my email in "Mail", which checks for new mail every 5 minutes, and then launching Netascape to retrieve it from the server, suppose someone emailed me in that period. Would this not explain how it shows up on Netscape and not on "Mail". I'm not sure, but this seems possible to me now that I think about it???? :confused:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts