Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just opened my mail and I know I had messages dated the 11th (yesterday) but all that are showing today are emails up to the 7th. I'm sure I've had this before but I know for sure this time!

What's happening that an email is there yesterday and gone today when I haven't done anything but open and close the program?

I'm getting tired of thinking I'm going crazy with this. And, there's nothing in my "recovered" box.

what's up? anyone? Is it time to find a new email provider for my business?

thanks!

·
Premium Member
15,605 Posts
I just opened my mail and I know I had messages dated the 11th (yesterday) but all that are showing today are emails up to the 7th. I'm sure I've had this before but I know for sure this time!

What's happening that an email is there yesterday and gone today when I haven't done anything but open and close the program?

I'm getting tired of thinking I'm going crazy with this. And, there's nothing in my "recovered" box.

what's up? anyone? Is it time to find a new email provider for my business?

thanks!

Can you access your e-mail account using a browser and its webmail link and see what e-mails and their dates that are showing???

When did you first notice the problem???

Have you changed any options in the webmail???

Have you installed any new stuff on your Mac or made any changes to anything that might be related to your e-mail???

- Patrick
=======

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can you access your e-mail account using a browser and its webmail link and see what e-mails and their dates that are showing???

When did you first notice the problem???

Have you changed any options in the webmail???

Have you installed any new stuff on your Mac or made any changes to anything that might be related to your e-mail???

- Patrick
=======
Thanks Patrick for your ideas and questions.

I feel like this has been going on for some time but I knew for sure just before writing my post about it.

I completely forgot that I can access this email via the weblink! I'll check it next time. And, no, I haven't changed any options in the webmail.

The only thing I've installed recently is PhotoScape X. I doubt that would do anything....but I'm also not a techie.

Thanks to your questions about the webmail, I realized that maybe the issue isn't with Mac Mail but my host provider for my email (and website). I'll check with them next time.

Thanks for your time replying! Much appreciated!

Deanna

·
Registered
6 Posts
Deanna, I have a 2018 MBP, running Big Sur, and I have the same issue. I realize you are using a different MBP and OS. I noticed it soon after installing Big Sur. I don't know what is causing it, but it is quite annoying. My feeling is it is happening when a certain key combination is pressed, while a lingering finger, or part of the hand, is over the trackpad. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to catch which combination is involved. I do know I hate the trackpad on the 15" 2018 MBP. It is much larger than it needs to be. Also, I may have been struck by lightening in an earlier life because my trackpad will actually sense a touch even if part of my hand, or a finger only hovers over the pad. As mentioned earlier, going to your webmail provider allows you to get those emails back. I have three laptops that I download emails to and I only have the problem on my 2018 MBP. Emails are download to my two newest laptops, without deleting them from the webmail server. On the third, the emails are deleted manually. This way I can always recover them, if needed. Glenn

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Glenn, thanks for sharing about your computer woes! These things should all just be straight forward but....they're not! Personalities? Anyway, I realize I may also need to check with my email host provider about how much space I'm using and can use. But realizing I can just go on the web is very helpful!

Cheers! Deanna

PS I've seen those track pads and they are huge! I have wondered about that when it's time to upgrade again. And the last upgrade was from a 2009 to a 2014 (in 2019 or so) and I've been very happy with it. I'm not sure what the next will be.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well good luck figuring out your email issue. Make sure you test out an new MBP trackpad before plunking down money. Also, I wouldn't buy another before all new M1 Apple silicon MBP have been released. Not sure if it matters to you, but rumor has it that the TouchBar may be gone on the M1s. Glenn

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the heads up about the M1s. It'll be a while before I'm ready to upgrade so hopefully they'll all be out.

Cheers, Deanna

·
Registered
26 Posts
Deanna, I have a 2018 MBP, running Big Sur, and I have the same issue. I realize you are using a different MBP and OS. I noticed it soon after installing Big Sur. I don't know what is causing it, but it is quite annoying. My feeling is it is happening when a certain key combination is pressed, while a lingering finger, or part of the hand, is over the trackpad. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to catch which combination is involved. I do know I hate the trackpad on the 15" 2018 MBP. It is much larger than it needs to be. Also, I may have been struck by lightening in an earlier life because my trackpad will actually sense a touch even if part of my hand, or a finger only hovers over the pad. As mentioned earlier, going to your webmail provider allows you to get those emails back. I have three laptops that I download emails to and I only have the problem on my 2018 MBP. Emails are download to my two newest laptops, without deleting them from the webmail server. On the third, the emails are deleted manually. This way I can always recover them, if needed. Glenn
Something similar threw me for a loop at first. In the mail window on the right side at the top of the message list there’s a button to push to show only unread messages. It’s a circle with three or four lines in it.

I read messages, quit the Mail, then when I came back they were not in the list. If you click that button it will then show all messages. Not very intuitive IMO.

·
Premium Member
15,605 Posts
I read messages, quit the Mail, then when I came back they were not in the list. If you click that button it will then show all messages. Not very intuitive IMO.

As for the recent macOS being "intuitive", whatever happened to the fairly helpful and better than nothing help that one could get by just hovering over the particular icon, and end up reading a brief description of what it was supposed to do???

Or is there a new method that one is supposed to use these days or have they just eliminated such helpful features???

- Patrick
=======

1 - 9 of 9 Posts