Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I booked my Cover-19 vaccination and got the confirmatory email on April 7th in my iCloud account.

I flagged it and went to print it today as a back-up.

But it wasn’t there. I searched for it and there was nothing. I checked iCloud but no luck.

I rushed downstairs to my MacBook Air and opened Mail. There it was! I made a PDF and went to print it out when Mail crashed.

When I re-opened Mail the message seemed to vanish before my eyes. I did a few searches but no cigar.

I’ve rebuilt mailboxes, started in Safe Mode and run Disk Utility.

Nothing seems to work.

The message was stored on a Mac Pro 3,1 running High Sierra as is the MacBook Air.

It was on my iPhone SE but it has gone from there too.

I’ve searched on the InterWebs for answers but no joy.

Can anybody here help?

Cheers.

·
Premium Member
5,404 Posts
If you log in to your iCloud account in safari or whatever browser you use is the email there?

No answer for why it has happened to you but I think it should be safe in your webmail. I get the panic though, always seems to be something wonky with Apple Mail when you really need it. I think it was around 5 years ago I was flying back from Calgary to Ontario. I had the boring ticket on my iPhone. I got through everything, was sitting on the plane and it vanished when they asked to see. Can't remember what I did to find it but it was somewhere it should not have been. It could have been an error on my part somehow sliding this way or that to put it in some folder. I never use folders, it is either in my inbox or the trash.

Reactions: PatakAttack

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you log in to your iCloud account in safari or whatever browser you use is the email there?

No answer for why it has happened to you but I think it should be safe in your webmail. I get the panic though, always seems to be something wonky with Apple Mail when you really need it. I think it was around 5 years ago I was flying back from Calgary to Ontario. I had the boring ticket on my iPhone. I got through everything, was sitting on the plane and it vanished when they asked to see. Can't remember what I did to find it but it was somewhere it should not have been. It could have been an error on my part somehow sliding this way or that to put it in some folder. I never use folders, it is either in my inbox or the trash.
Morning wonderings,
I checked my webmail, no dice. I was going to print it for exactly this purpose—in case it disappeared. Luckily, when I went to get my vaccination, nobody asked to see it. I was disappointed after all the effort I made to retrieve it. Two things must have happened: weird Mail stuff or I accidentally deleted it. I'll follow your example and not use folders. Cheers.

·
Premium Member
1,747 Posts
I'll follow your example and not use folders. Cheers.
I tend to use folders for some things. The trick is to flag messages that are important. That way they're always easy to find, especially if you have a smart folder set up to list all flagged messages in any folder.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Search is your friend. If an email is moved to the wrong folder, not as in disappearing but as in misplaced, then search for it. Normally, the sidebar has the "All Inboxes" folder at the top of the list. In the upper right corner, of the main Mail window, there is a search input field. When you type into the input search field a new folder appears at the top of the sidebar. It is called, "All Mailboxes". Click on it, to highlight it, and the search term results for every mailbox will be listed. Glenn

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Search is your friend. If an email is moved to the wrong folder, not as in disappearing but as in misplaced, then search for it. Normally, the sidebar has the "All Inboxes" folder at the top of the list. In the upper right corner, of the main Mail window, there is a search input field. When you type into the input search field a new folder appears at the top of the sidebar. It is called, "All Mailboxes". Click on it, to highlight it, and the search term results for every mailbox will be listed. Glenn
Good tip glenng6. Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Morning wonderings,
I checked my webmail, no dice. I was going to print it for exactly this purpose—in case it disappeared. Luckily, when I went to get my vaccination, nobody asked to see it. I was disappointed after all the effort I made to retrieve it. Two things must have happened: weird Mail stuff or I accidentally deleted it. I'll follow your example and not use folders. Cheers.
Consider also using some mail apps like outlook
they can archive every mail you’ve got therefore you will never lose any vital messages even if you somehow misplace them

1 - 8 of 8 Posts