Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Desperately trying to wrap my old brain around this error message,
Safari, Mail cannot save information about your mailboxes because there isn’t enough space in your home folder.

I'm extremely confused...

·
Premium Member
15,775 Posts
Mail cannot save information about your mailboxes because there isn’t enough space in your home folder.
Just Googling the phrase shows that the problem has been around for quite some time now, maybe you can get a fix from one of the hits...

Meanwhile, it seems like some email message or attachment is suddenly causing my Mavericks Mail to inexplicably quit and I haven't found the cause yet., and none of the "fixes" have solved the problem as yet.

Good luck with your seemingly different problem. 😉

- Patrick
=======

·
Registered
98 Posts
Desperately trying to wrap my old brain around this error message,
Safari, Mail cannot save information about your mailboxes because there isn’t enough space in your home folder.

I'm extremely confused...
It likely means exactly what it sounds like.

How big is your hard drive, and how full is it? As a general rule of thumb, rotating disk hard drives (RDHD) tend to, for all intents and purposes, be full somewhere around 80%, depending on how fragmented your data is on the drive. For SSD's the number is closer to 70%, however SSD's can't be defragmented (and you shouldn't try, as you might damage your drive). These percentages hold no matter how large the reported free space is on your drive.

Generally, that error message means that you need to clear some room on your RDHD and then defragment the drive.

Item #5 and Note #1

If you have an SSD, it means that you need to buy a larger internal SSD, or an external hard drive to use to offload stuff from your internal.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Meanwhile, it seems like some email message or attachment is suddenly causing my Mavericks Mail to inexplicably quit and I haven't found the cause yet., and none of the "fixes" have solved the problem as yet.
Yes, that sounds typical of either a malicious or malformed e-mail message that is causing Mail to choke and quit.

Generally the way that you fix this problem is to look at the mail waiting on your e-mail providers server...

and delete the problematic e-mail message manually. The problematic one is usually easy to spot. It's usually either spammy or unreadable. (i.e. it's usually e-mail that you would delete anyway.)

If that doesn't work, I'd quit Mail, move Mail's "Mail Downloads" folder (in your user Library folder) to the desktop, relaunch mail, and see if the problem is gone. If it is, your problem is a corrupted e-mail attachment.
To get there in recent versions of the MacOS (where the user Library is invisible):

In the Finder
Option-click the Go menu
Your ~/Library will appear in the menu

·
Premium Member
15,775 Posts
Yes, that sounds typical of either a malicious or malformed e-mail message that is causing Mail to choke and quit.

Generally the way that you fix this problem is to look at the mail waiting on your e-mail providers server...

Thanks Randy, I was able to resolve the problem by moving everything from the problem Inbox mailbox, and deleting any that were left on the server using webmail for that email account.

With that done I rebuilt the appropriate mailboxes and restarted Mail and everything is running fine so far. I'll never know and don't really care what was causing the corruption but none of the messages seemed to be abnormal in any way.

- Patrick
=======

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Randy, I was able to resolve the problem by moving everything from the problem Inbox mailbox, and deleting any that were left on the server using webmail for that email account.

With that done I rebuilt the appropriate mailboxes and restarted Mail and everything is running fine so far. I'll never know and don't really care what was causing the corruption but none of the messages seemed to be abnormal in any way.

- Patrick
=======
Thanks all!! I did the same and all seems well. My bad for buying such a small SSD. And not utilizing my 1TB external drive.

Now on to an iWatch issue!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts