Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening all,
I have an older iMac and am running el Capitain. I can't remove the un wanted email addresses from autofill. I used to on other versions. I have tried everything from remove from recipients list etc...
Any help would be appreciated
Thanks

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I have tried all the suggestions you have suggested prior to me asking for help and nothing.
This has been an issue for a long time. I have lots of addresses from people on KIJIJI and such that I would love to get rid of .

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I should also mention that none of the addresses are in the recipients list. The just appear when I start to enter an address in .

·
Premium Member
15,679 Posts
I should also mention that none of the addresses are in the recipients list. The just appear when I start to enter an address in .

Then the old address is hiding somewhere.

Did you right-click such an address when you start typing the name and follow any of the options to delete it?

Or maybe give this another try:
How to Clean up the macOS Mail Auto-Complete List
https://www.lifewire.com/clean-up-auto-complete-list-os-x-1172864

Or:
Try these steps and let us know if it works please:

Open Mail and fire up a "New Message" from the File menu (or use command + N)
Begin typing the address
When Mail starts to complete the address you want, hit the Return key to tell Mail to go ahead and auto-complete the address
Hover the mouse pointer over the address; a blue arrow will show up on the right hand side.
Click on the arrow, which brings up a drop-down menu. The menu contains several options, one of which is "Remove address." Click it, and it will remove the address from auto-complete.

Source: http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/40288/how-do-i-delete-a-previous-recipi ents-email-address-from-mail
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7563035?tstart=0

·
Premium Member
15,679 Posts
If none of the above suggestions work, you could probably find where the address is lurking that Mail is using by coin a search for the "address name" using Find Any File.app or EasyFind.app. And then delete the source.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for your help on this, I have tried all of your suggestions and searched the net prior to reaching out for help. All these addresses do not appear in the recipient list, only when I start to type in the name in the to: line do they show up. These are just one time communications that I no longer want. I have tried everything possible based on the information out there.

·
Premium Member
15,679 Posts
Thank you for your help on this, I have tried all of your suggestions

And have you actually shutdown your Mac and then rebooted.

Also double-check the previous recipients file again as suggested above. Any previous "deletion" may not have actually deleted the address.

And PS: Have you searched your Contacts/Address Book contact names for any culprit address???

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes Sinc, I have done exactly that and my recipient list has been deleted of unwanted addresses. They just keep popping up when addressing new mail. I have tried the drop down box and nothing changes.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
pm-r, Yes I have shut down and all updates have been installed. And my contacts book only have the e-mail addresses that I need and use regularly, maybe"20 ".

I have been able to clean up the autofill list in the past. It has only been roughly a year since I have not been able to do so.

Maybe I need a new iMac? LOL.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK, and here's something to read that just might be part of the cause…

How to disable unconfirmed contact email suggestions
https://www.macworld.com/article/30...le-unconfirmed-contact-email-suggestions.html

You never know… ;-)

- Patrick
======
Thank you, thank you, thank you dear sir. :)
it is in the contacts book at the bottom in general and then turn off contacts that are not in the book. Bingo!!!
I appreciate the help and time you took to help me out. I am not computer orientated at all. I just enjoy surfing and photo and the basic stuff.
Thanks again,
Guy.

·
Premium Member
15,679 Posts
Thank you, thank you, thank you dear sir.
it is in the contacts book at the bottom in general and then turn off contacts that are not in the book. Bingo!!!

Phew!!! At last, I'm glad we got a fix.

You could still have a few years left in that iMac, but I don't know how you're managing running El Cap'n with only 1GB RAM installed. That's obviously keeping a slim, well maintained Mac but it must be a bit restricted at times.
And if needed, you can add more easily to that iMac:
Maximum RAM: 6 GB*
Maximum MacOS: X 10.11.x*

https://everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/specs/imac-core-2-duo-2.0-20-inch-aluminum-specs.html

We still run both a 2007 24" iMac, but with 6GB RAM, and a 2007 15" MBPro with 4GB RAM, and El Cap'n and they both work well enough for our use.

BTW: I'm not exactly sure how your fixed things when you say:
it is in the contacts book at the bottom in general and then turn off contacts that are not in the book.
but not to worry… ;-)

EDIT:
OK, I got it.
I just had to re-read the article!!! :eek:

- Patrick
======

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Glad you mentioned my Ram, I have updated to 4gb ram. how do I get 6 installed? I was under the impression I was maxed out at 4.

Guy.

·
Premium Member
15,679 Posts
Glad you mentioned my Ram, I have updated to 4gb ram. how do I get 6 installed? I was under the impression I was maxed out at 4.

Guy.

As you already have 4GB RAM installed, I'd just keep an eye on what your Activity Monitor.app is reporting about memory usage as it will show you if you're pushing things.

The everymac link above gives some of the info assuming that is the same model you have:
*Apple officially supports 4 GB of RAM, but third-parties have been able to upgrade the system to 6 GB of RAM using one 2 GB and one 4 GB memory module.
But it can get a bit more involved than just adding some RAM as there's actually an advantage to using matched pairs as your iMac is probably already doing.
Also a single compatible 4GB RAM module for that iMac model will probably cost around $100.00±.

Your choice though… and that iMac is ten years old now… :confused:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts