Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don’t understand why my mail app has suddenly slowed down. Gmail app works perfectly so does everything else. iOS 15 latest version. Sometimes it loads the header but won’t load the message. I have preview turned off. Any ideas why?

·
Administrator
218 Posts
Any chance you have Norton 360 on your device? If so, there is a feature that looks at your email and just loads the headers. There is a link at the top of the page that allows you to load all the content.

Font Multimedia Screenshot Gadget Science

·
Premium Member
16,188 Posts
Any chance you have Norton 360 on your device? If so,
Also, if so, change the settings for Norton 360 and then get rid of the application and all its files using an uninstaller if need be.

Very seldom is it needed and it can screw up and slow down your Mac and do various other goof-ups.

Not just an un-based opinion, but based on many Mac users experience.

- Patrick
=======

·
Premium Member
16,188 Posts
Have you seen the same kind of comments from iOS users, like the OP?
I haven't noticed any user comments about Gmail slowing down specifically but that is definitely not the case with my wife's account but she does not use iOS, iPad or iPhone, for her eMail but uses a gmail account with her iMac and Mail.app/.

But nearly every forum that mentions of slow downs or other problems and third party Antivirus applications in the same topic, invariably the consensus is to lose and Trash the antivirus software.

Then do a cold shutdown/reboot and try again.

- Patrick
=======

·
Administrator
218 Posts
OP was not seeing any issue with Gmail. It is the iOS Mail app they are inquiring about.

On iOS, Norton does not provide anti virus. But it does provide some web protection. This might be affecting the Mail app to provide the protection I noted in my image above.

·
Premium Member
16,188 Posts
OP was not seeing any issue with Gmail. It is the iOS Mail app they are inquiring about.

My apologies for misreading the posting, and not a very good example for the new member. By the way, welcome aboard Iainy1.

So, as there is no iOS antivirus software to get rid of, I would suggest the next step is to do a force shut down and reboot of the iOS device, and maybe do the same with the router if there is one involved.

On iOS, Norton does not provide anti virus. But it does provide some web protection. This might be affecting the Mail app to provide the protection I noted in my image above.
I would think that would be something to definitely look into.

The other thing to do would be to think hard what might have happened to to cause their Mail.app to suddenly slow down for just certain accounts. Another reason to shut right down and Boot up again, a process which can often repair things. But it won't help much if the particular slow/goofy mail server is having problems.

Are all the email accounts the same type, POP and/or IMAP??? And I wonder if either of those could cause the problem???

- Patrick
=======

1 - 7 of 7 Posts