Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After upgrading to Jaguar, I started using Mail.app as my email client (before that I used mutt and spamassassin on my Linux machine, or Outlook on my Windows machine). At first, Mail.app lived up to Apple's hype, in that it was catching spam with no false positives or negatives. Lately, however, I've found that the number of false positives and negatives have increased dramatically, which means I'm faced with offers to refinance my home and enlarge various things in my inbox, while I have to go dumpster diving to get my "real" mail.

Has anyone else noticed this?

·
Premium Member
30,887 Posts
I used to hate Outlook but it sure has settled my spam problems. I've got it set just above the 50% mark in the slider and it's just about perfect.
Maybe 2-3 spam get through a day and very rarely does it block a real message ( usually from a supplier not in the address book).
And I do handle volume - 2600 valid emails since Nov 1
..no wonder my neck is stiff from typing.
I agree that a spam filter that is erratic is worse than no filter at all. Just makes it twice the work to clean up. :rolleyes:
I did use Spamfire and found it effective too but not as elegant and it crashed on occasion. Not sure if there is an X version.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
RicktheChemist wrote:
"Side note; we should have a nice game tomorrow.. Ut anyone..."

We should, but there's this cute redhead, see, who wants to take me out to dinner.

Bjornbro and I have been throwing rockets at each other around 11pm the past couple of nights, and I've seen Griller online a couple of times (but he scares me). Seems these days your best bet is it just hop online....

"I find that the Mail.app does do this. I would RE-train mail.app to learn what mail you want and what you don't."

Grrr. I was hoping there was some sort of "Stop being stupid" button somewhere, but I guess not. I'll try retraining it, but if it insists on being stupid, I'll just re-activate spamassassin and filter my mail on my Linux box.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
RicktheChemist wrote:
No SPAM filter is perfect.. and well.. Mail.app is free with the OS.. I suffer with it..."

True enough (although I threw a lot of money at Apple to be able to use their OS ;)). I guess I'm just annoyed because spamassassin used to give me about 1 false negative (and even fewer false positives) a week, while Mail.app gives me about 20 or 30.

"Go Queen's U.. GO Queen's U.. well at least the CS department..."

You'd best not say that 'round a UWaterloo C&O/CS graduate. ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts