Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is one of those things that has bugged me about OS X Mail for a long time... and only now am I remembering to vent publicly :)

Am I completely obtuse (careful....) or is there no shortcut in Mail to add a Rule? And... if not .... why? It would seem to be something that most people would find useful...

Also wondering if it's something that I can set up in Sys Prefs - which I doubt, as there are no direct menu commands applicable.

TIA,
M

·
Premium Member
1,407 Posts
Please read the note on top of the article: these scripts will not run anymore since Lion, because of the withdrawal of Perl.

·
Premium Member
17,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Only shortcut I know is the one to open the prefs in Mail to add the rule: ⌘ + , ( command plus comma).
Yeah, that's the thing - why should we have to open Prefs. I *should* be able to right-click on a message in my inbox, and "Create Rule..."

Astonished that this isn't an in-demand feature...

·
Premium Member
15,502 Posts
Yeah, that's the thing - why should we have to open Prefs. I *should* be able to right-click on a message in my inbox, and "Create Rule..."

Astonished that this isn't an in-demand feature...

Oh, if only Mail had just some such features as Eudora had, single click, it could be a nice email client to use. I could mention many other Eudora features that Mail could use as well. But at least Eudora still works in SL. ;)

Edit:

I meant to mention Mail Act-On, but I'm not sure it will work and do what you want with your OS X:

https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/17808/mail-act-on

·
Registered
43 Posts
Please read the note on top of the article: these scripts will not run anymore since Lion, because of the withdrawal of Perl.
I did. It said (emphasis mine), "Some of the scripts installed as part of 'Mail Scripts' are not compatible with MacOS X 10.7 (Lion) or higher — Apple made some changes (e.g., partially breaking AppleScript in Mail, removing Perl 5.8) which make it impossible to update the scripts so that they would work correctly again."

I gave them a whirl and the one that creates a Mail rule still works on my machine, which is running Mavericks, which has perl 5.16.2.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts