Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

So some background:

I've got a 3.5 year old 13" MacBook. I've recently replaced my original DC-in board (the power-input) because I was having problems with it. I used to have to really fight to get my computer to charge, and it was almost impossible to move it with the cord plugged in.

Things were working fine for a while, but lately I've noticed that where the adapter meets the computer (the magsafe "head" of the charger) gets *really* hot. Both the magsafe head and the DC-in are super hot (too hot to touch) if it's been plugged in for more than a few minutes.

I've noticed scorch marks developing where the outer prongs connect to the computer.
[If you can picture it, the area around the five gold "dots" is blackening and scorching]

Kind looks like this:

{O} O O O {O}

My charger seems to work fine on other computers, and other chargers seem to work fine on mine (without generating excess heat).

Has anyone else had this problem? Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
--Chris

·
Premium Member
9,103 Posts
When an electrical connector gets hot, it's usually a sign of poor mating between male and female parts of the connector.
You basically end up with a resistance within the connector (other than close to zero ohms what it should be), that causes a voltage drop and heat is generated when current flows.

Did you get an OEM replacement DC-in board from Apple or is it a third party board?
My guess is that one of the connectors, male or female, is defective or out of spec.

·
You are just an illusion
2,856 Posts
lars, he said that it works fine with other peole's magsafe.. perhaps a new magsafe would be ideal

·
Premium Member
9,103 Posts
Sounds to me like a bit of metallic grit somewhere is causing a short. Some compressed air ought to clear that up.
It needs to be a "resistive" short to generate the heat right at the connector as was reported.
Certainly possible.

What's odd is that it only happens with a very specific combination of Mac and MaqSafe connector - that's why I was thinking more of a tolerance problem where thre is not a good solid connection with a specific combination male/female part.

With Magsafe it's difficult to determine if there is a good electrical connection since on can'r really wiggle the connector and get a feel for because of the magnet.
Try pushing the MagSafe connector sideways in all directions, up and down as well, to see if anything happens - either the charging stops or the heat generated changes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi folks,

Thanks for the replies.
I just went ahead and got a new adapter, and things seems to be working just fine so far.
The new redesign on the AC-adapters is nicer, anyways!

I'm probably going to send the old one in, because even though it's old I think Apple will replace it even out of warranty. Never hurts to have a backup kicking around.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts