Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have this Magic Mouse, it's about a year old and it's not behaving well.

I started using apple rechargeable batteries about 6 months ago, things were working fine, however recently, the mouse stopped registering the battery level, then it started to get intermittently responsive - sort of like when you are doing something really processor intensive and things slow down like molasses and one fluid mouse stroke ends up being like 6 little jumps.

Now it's just not working at all, so I'm back on the mighty mouse...

Any suggestions? Did I just wear it out? Do I need to buy another one? (I'd rather not).

·
Premium Member
10,314 Posts
So I have this Magic Mouse, it's about a year old and it's not behaving well.

I started using apple rechargeable batteries about 6 months ago, things were working fine, however recently, the mouse stopped registering the battery level, then it started to get intermittently responsive - sort of like when you are doing something really processor intensive and things slow down like molasses and one fluid mouse stroke ends up being like 6 little jumps.

Now it's just not working at all, so I'm back on the mighty mouse...

Any suggestions? Did I just wear it out? Do I need to buy another one? (I'd rather not).
Bring it back to the Apple store. I imagine they'll just swap it for a new one (I have done this before with the Mighty Mouse, can't imagine why they wouldn't do the same for the Magic Mouse).

·
Premium Member
1,079 Posts
just to make sure you're not experiencing some prob with your rechargeable batteries it might be worth your while to pop in some fresh regular batteries to see if that changes things (i'm wondering if your rechargeables are delivering flakey output).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Definitely swap the batteries . Also try deleting the Magic Mouse from your Bluetooth a prefs panel and adding the mouse again. If it's still acting up, bring it to your nearest store for warranty replacement (if it's under 1 year, or if your Mac is still under AppleCare). Good luck!

·
Klingon Warrior
1,494 Posts
Have you tried to see if the contacts to the batteries are clean? Also does the light on the bottom by the switch come on ? Does it blink?

·
Premium Member
1,060 Posts
In addition to the suggestions above, try rebooting your Mac if you haven't done so lately. I recently experienced similar behaviour and tried swapping the batteries and re-pairing the device, but ultimately it was a reboot that solved the problem.

·
Premium Member
15,515 Posts
It really is amazing what a simple restart can often fix!!

And if one wants to go further that often still seems to work when a simple restart doesn't fix things:

Shut down, wait 20-40 seconds, startup using 'safe boot mode', run Disk Utility and do any repairs and verify if you want, it won't hurt. and then just restart normally.

This method often seems to clear up and purge many goofy things, and the next step if that doesn't work is to go through the appropriate Mac OS X COMBO download and install routine - and do so when booted into 'safe boot mode'. Then restart once again after everything has restarted and stable.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone - I restart often and repair permissions often as well.

I deleted the mouse from my Bluetooth list and then put normal Duracells in it and everything seems to be fine now... So I guess the Mac Batteries are to blame? Disappointing... Good thing Shoppers Drug Mart had a sale on!

·
Premium Member
17,744 Posts
Not sure what flavour of batteries the magic mouse uses, but NiMH AAs or AAAs suffer from two problems. First they are 1.2 Volt versus the 1.5-1.6 Volts of their Alkaline or Lithium equivalents. Secondly at some point, usually less than a year, the charge cycle becomes so short as to make them a royal pain in the a55.

·
Premium Member
15,515 Posts
Not sure what flavour of batteries the magic mouse uses, but NiMH AAs or AAAs suffer from two problems. First they are 1.2 Volt versus the 1.5-1.6 Volts of their Alkaline or Lithium equivalents. Secondly at some point, usually less than a year, the charge cycle becomes so short as to make them a royal pain in the a55.

I would agree, and any of the lower AHr rated and related rechargeable batteries seem to exaggerate the problem.

But the Costco brand batteries are usually high AHr rated if one has access to a local store for their normal batteries and/or their equivalent rechargeable batteries, and usually at an excellent price.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts