ehMac banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I accidentally bought a multiline phone that works fine with one line, but I thought I have the hardware so what the hell lets get another line. After a quick call to telus $30.00 extra a month for a cut dry phone line and $100.00 to get a dope head tech to install it (no offense to non dope head telus techs) so I screamed very bad Russian curse words and hanged up, so I stumble upon the Magicjack. I read a thousand and two bad reviews, but wondered if anyone had used one in the land of ehmac. I heard it works with mac, if not I will through together a quick windows box to host this. So if you used/use it, how did/do you like it.

·
Premium Member
4,485 Posts
I have a couple and they work okay. Nothing to replace your existing line with but should fine for a second line. They work on Intel based Macs not the older PPCs. You can also forward the MagicJack line to any number in North America which is handy if you travel and have callers reach you at the same number. I use one with a number local to our Utah condo and one for Austin Texas where my wife works frequently. Generally those numbers are forwarded to wherever we happen to be but all of our contacts from those areas use the same number. Don't remember the last time I actually used the hardware to make a call, just a cheap forwarding service for us.

·
Premium Member
5,373 Posts
my experience with magic jack..
I LOVE IT! had for 2 years so far.. I use it as a 3rd line..
I have two viop lines that plug in to our cisco UC system, and then I have a cheap cordless system with two handsets we call the longdistance unit..
we use it for strictly that or if the first two lines are used.. IT HAS SAVE US THOUSANDS over the 2 years..
we call USA and CAN every day, the magicjack is $30 a year flat rate..

when we travel we set up our laptop in the hotel or b&b with our cordless or what ever phone the room has - use our iphone for internet and bingo. we have a phone line/number for incoming or outgoing..

it has been the best solutions for us on the road and in house..
we have travelled extensively around the US and Canada - it has been a great life line to the outside world..

Final thoughts - it is far from a permanent line solution - as you need your computer and internet.. so if either fails - you have no line.. not too mention 911 DOES NOT WORK WITH IT - so if you have a knife in your back or a gun to your head.. they will not be able to track you...

other wise it worth every penny - as for the bad reviews that you may read - remember, not everyone knows what this was invented for..

last note: when the earth quakes hit in Japan, my friend was able to call North America and receive calls during the ordeal as he still had internet and was not dependant on the phone systems that were down..
buy it is it only $30 a year.. cheaper than the amount you will spend in a month at Tims.. :)

you can buy them at factorydirect.ca or you can buy them at magicjack.com and they will give you deals on line..
good luck..

I set up my clients' sales people with the jacks and they love it. as it is saving them thousands on long distance for the 'road warriors' and at home offices.

·
Funny Fellow
430 Posts
You can also buy them at The Source. I have one and it works pretty well. Got it when I told Bell to go screw themselves. LOL!!!!

·
Registered
396 Posts
I got one last year. Once in a while it has problems but not big enough to complain about especially for the price.
I bought a refurbished IBM from a computer store for less then $30 that I leave on all the time to use it with.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a couple for sale new - bought for friends overseas who bailed.
If you still have one after I sell my dell server I might have to buy one. Since I have heard these success stories I wanted one even more, I am thinking since it does not work with PPC's I might buy a thin client and through it in my crawls space and run a Ethernet and a phone line to it, so its always on and under 100Watts.

·
Premium Member
5,373 Posts
I'd get the NetTalk Duo instead. Plug it into your router instead of having a computer on 24/7.
$80 to purchase and then $40 a year - a wee more in cost.. also I do not like the small print. ( twice the price of magicjack )

the small print scares me : ( so what if I am a business and make lots of calls - magicjack has no restrictions. )

based on residential plans also based on normal residential use by single-family household members. A combination of factors are used to determine abnormal use, including but not limited to: the number of unique numbers called, international calls forwarded, minutes used and other factors. Subject to our Terms of Service.

the only thing I do like is the fact it plugs right in to the router, but is that worth twice the price?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts