Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who's subscribed to which mags, and what's your experience so far?? I only have the NY Times, and scooped it on an awesome deal on a cyber Monday. I actually love it.

Doesn't seem like the magazines on the iPad have been a KO, or has that been corrected now?? Any notables worth looking at?

·
Registered
801 Posts
I subscribe to American Cinematographer, Boxoffice, Hollywood Reporter, and Geek.

Geek is the most interactive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Indigent Academic
8,115 Posts
I tried a few subscription but found thee apps lacking and buggy. I also resented having to pay. I now use only the browser as a news source. There are a ton of high end news sources available for free through Safari. In fact MANY sources that charge for subscriptions through their apps turn out to provide the same info free through a browser. As long as I can find quality news and info for free, I ain't payin' for suscriptions.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Sports Illustraded, Golf Digest, and Golf Magazine are the magazines I'm subscribing to. I'm happy with all three except that I still receive print copies of each of them. I hand the print copies over to a buddy who has been enjoying them.

Wall Street Journal is the newspaper. I'm not as happy with the WSJ as I thought I would be, but I was looking for a replacement for The Daily which was had one of the best iPad apps. I miss getting up each morning and having a digital paper to read. The Star used to be my paper of choice, but I have found that the quality of their content has dropped significantly in the past few years. Now what they pass off as 'articles' are mainly wire service releases and press releases made to look like news. And I hate the format of their iPad app.

From time to time I'll open the USA Today app. The format of the app isn't bad.

·
Premium Member
9,839 Posts
Not wishing to derail the thread here, but is there anyone here who prefers the paper hardcopy after trying the online version? I have been looking at the following: The WIndsor Star, Toronto Star, National Post, Globe and Mail.....and frankly, I really prefer the paper versions....I haven't looked at a magazine as yet, but what I am finding is I miss reading a lot of the online version when compared to the paper one.....maybe it's me but I actually find it harder to browse and pick up the "smaller" stories. Anyone else find this, or am I still in the dark ages.....

·
Premium Member
6,076 Posts
Not wishing to derail the thread here, but is there anyone here who prefers the paper hardcopy after trying the online version? I have been looking at the following: The WIndsor Star, Toronto Star, National Post, Globe and Mail.....and frankly, I really prefer the paper versions....I haven't looked at a magazine as yet, but what I am finding is I miss reading a lot of the online version when compared to the paper one.....maybe it's me but I actually find it harder to browse and pick up the "smaller" stories. Anyone else find this, or am I still in the dark ages.....
Can't stand the paper versions. I get ink on my fingers, paper cuts, and worst of all I have to deal with an unwieldily stack of paper.

·
Premium Member
9,839 Posts
Hi John, I get the hassle with the paper, but do you find you read s many articles on the on-line versions as you did with the paper versions?

·
Premium Member
6,076 Posts
Hi John, I get the hassle with the paper, but do you find you read s many articles on the on-line versions as you did with the paper versions?
At least the same, if not more - I found it much more annoying to deal with always refolding the paper or trying to find article continuations (from the front page, etc) than with the websites, especially with ad blocking software.

That said, I'm not looking forward to the Star's upcoming paywall. They're under the mistaken impression that people will pay $30/month to get the same AP stories that are available elsewhere for free.

·
Premium Member
17,744 Posts
Depends a lot on the paper but typically even our local weeklies may leave out various articles from their online editions.

I do read the Calgary Sun at the local cafe, but no longer buy or subscribe to the city Newspapers. For me part of news is trying to separate fact from propaganda and that often requires visiting multiple sources. Obviously I cannot afford to subscribe to 100 different outlets and therefore depend on being able to find things free.

Fortunately as far as Lame Stream media goes they all just print what they are fed so it is easy enough to find the official viewpoint anywhere. Determining its accuracy is another ball game altogether.

·
Premium Member
9,839 Posts
I agree there. With all the advertising on the thing it should be free. Most of the papers will go that way. I'm thinking TV will be next, CBC,CTV,BBC CNN will all probably go to a subscription service. As for magazines it makes sense for a subscription as they generally do not carry daily news items.

·
Premium Member
6,076 Posts
Depends a lot on the paper but typically even our local weeklies may leave out various articles from their online editions.

I do read the Calgary Sun at the local cafe, but no longer buy or subscribe to the city Newspapers. For me part of news is trying to separate fact from propaganda and that often requires visiting multiple sources. Obviously I cannot afford to subscribe to 100 different outlets and therefore depend on being able to find things free.

Fortunately as far as Lame Stream media goes they all just print what they are fed so it is easy enough to find the official viewpoint anywhere. Determining its accuracy is another ball game altogether.
Not sure about other papers, but I'd be surprised if The Star or Globe & Mail ran print-only articles; hardly seems in their best interest if they're trying to build an online following to later charge.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
great thread so far. Part of my reasoning to migrate iPad for NYT was having to watch the Sunday times simply pile up in the corner of my living room - slowly but surely. It got pretty insane - and the site of it all was pretty discouraging in fact. :(

But i was really looking fwd to the interactivity of all these mags, and as much as I have seen some of it demonstrated (mostly in videos), i've still not been wowed. Though I would expect less of that w/ the papers than with say WIRED and like mags. Anyone messing w/ tech periodicals?

·
Registered
160 Posts
I subscribe to NYT, The Magazine, Spin and The Economist.

Spin works ok, but doesn't automatically update well. Economist is pretty bad, never updates automatically and is buggy. NYT and The Magazine work great.

In terms business models, newspapers have an issue of ad rates falling dramatically over the years. Also when moving to digital, they need to do it in a way that does not kill their revenues which can be tricky. They can't kill the print revenue for a potential future in digital. They (along with other industries like TV) need to sort out that transition smoothly.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Can't stand the paper versions. I get ink on my fingers, paper cuts, and worst of all I have to deal with an unwieldily stack of paper.
I ditto that. And then, my inky fingers leave marks all over my white MacBook. So e-readers all of the way. I have a hardcopy and complimentary digital subscription to MacLean's. So far I've been really disappointed either by the magazine app or by MacLeans digital app. Often I haven't had success downloading it and have had to contact the company. I do love been able to double click on some obscure work to find the meaning.

·
Premium Member
9,839 Posts
Psycosis, there is a conference going on today with respect to the TV industry. It seems the owners of TV stations are concerned that the number of households who have TVs is dropping. In the U.S. there are about 5 million households who do not have a TV....so they must be streaming entertainment content via tablets or computers. So, this is interesting as the newspapers understand that the print days are numbered ( sadly as I'm a print guy ). This means that in the future ( say 5 years ) we probably will have to pay for the streaming charges of our favourite programmes on the national networks. That said, media providers have a lot of work to do to get quality aps up and running....whether newspapers, magazines, or....TV. So the question now centres on the device..... will the new media drive the hardware. I once thought the 128gig iPad as a joke, but maybe it will be the norm if we "stream" or browse all of our infotainment.

·
Mediator Extraordinaire
317 Posts
I prefer the epaper, though only reading with the PressReader apps- I don't like the web version. If you subscribe to the National Post through the paper, you can then access the paper through PressReader AND read all of the papers they own. Nice if you like a national paper and local.

As for magazines- read Macleans, Money Sense as they are included in print subscription from Rogers. Also read Macworld and MacLife and Men's Health.

J

1 - 17 of 17 Posts