Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Macworld has posted their review of the best digital cameras ranging from 3.2 to 5.0 megapixel. Macworld seemed to pick Canon as the top in all three categories. Although Canon makes some great products when it comes to photography, I don't particular agree with the models Macworld picked as being the best out of those categories.

One thing that I look for when comparing any digital camera is the final output of pictures. Some cameras produce more noise then others, soft colours versus normal or harsh, weak flash or too strong and blurry. Right now digital photography for the consumer is still in beta form in my opinion. There are too many cameras that are similiar out on the market, which causes a lot of confusion to the average consumer when buying a digital camera. The sales person will hype about megapixels and digital zoom of any camera. The consumer who isn't aware of the different outputs from each camera will think only of the megapixel and digital zoom plus the extras on the camera. I love how the sales person tries to show you how great the pictures are on the LCD screen, yes they look cool, but you still don't see the "true" finished product.

I have always found this site: www.dpreview.com
to be a little better for reviews of digital cameras, but more importantly you get user feedback. You hear about the bad flash, or that the camera has soft colours or high noise output. You get a broader view of what to expect if and when you do purchase that digital camera. At this time I remain in the 35mm SLR era, until the digital era becomes mature and the cameras are worth the price for performance.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
I have utilized both of these sites and came to the conclusion that the Minolta Dimage 7i is the camera for me and my needs/abilities. I actually tried one out in Montreal when I was there in Oct. for a conference.

Still, these two websites give as complete and honest/valid an appraisal as I have seen anywhere on the web.

·
Lifetime membership
9,265 Posts
Thank you for the website link!

There are others as well, At Steves web site he gives you a link at the end of each review if you want a second or third opinion.

Dave :cool:

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
Dolawren, for the extra $500 difference between the 7i and the 7Hi, I don't feel the features they have included are worth it for what I want this camera to be used for in my hands. Others may need these features, but I don't.

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
Thanks for the link, Urban_Legend. I was waiting for an affordable digital camera with full manual controls, and that set of reviews helped me to decide on the Canon Powershot a70. I'll miss a few things about my old film SLR, but for now the convenience of digital far outweighs other considerations. The results look great on my 21" CRT. I'm really enjoying the easy experimentation and not worrying about wasting film!

·
Registered
804 Posts
I researched every review I could find, and have to agree with MacWorlds picks. The combination of "manual" controls and excellent image were the deciding factor.
Steves digicam site had an excellent review and the sample images were great.
It took me about 6 weeks of constantly reading reviews where I could find them, and I decided that the Canon A70 was the best camera.
After using it for a few weeks now, I am happy with that choice and realize that MacWorld puts quite a bit of effort into these reviews.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts