·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
363 Posts
there's just no satisfying some people.

when they say "live up to expectations," you have to look at the expectations. rumor mills make people demand way too much from keynotes these days. so i guess it didn't live up to expectations, but as odd as it sounds, that's to be expected.

was it a great keynote? no
were there good products debuted? yes
has there been worse keynotes? yes

there seems to be a wide range of reactions to any given keynote regardless of its actual contents. some people will always be thrilled, and were satisfied by the new version of iphoto. some people expect the world to change every six months, and would piss and moan if the powerbook g5 came out but the newton 2 didn't.

i say take the keynote for what it is. if you're waiting for something specific, don't watch it and just check the website afterwards. if you want to see what's new, and be given a good demo of the highlights of what's new, watch the keynote.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I watched the keynote and I agree with quite a bit of the article's content, but not its tone. I found the keynote a bit underwhelming from a consumer product point of view but not terrible. The main problem was that it was far too long. Sure, GarageBand is way cool but that demo simply drug on forever. :rolleyes:

In fact, I think that I would have had a far better opinion of the keynote if it had only lasted 70-80 minutes. I spent much of the second hour looking for chores to do around the house.

And what was that woman from Microsoft on?!? Surely they could have found a more lifelike droid to put on stage... ;)

- Martin.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Considering her company, she was perfect! :Imao:

Anyways, during the webcast I was thinking, humm Steve and the boys like their music toys a little Too much. But I guess with that whole area so hot its the right time.

They just blinkin well better bring iTMS to the world in Feb.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
It was the most uninspiring keynote I have ever witnessed. Too bad ehMax and Heart chose this year, of all years, to attend. Perhaps the up side is the people they met and the contacts they made, which will have a positive influence on ehMac.

Cheers

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
Funny enough Elmer, but like I said , sadly uninspiring.

One thing is for sure, nest year has to be better, after all it has nowhere to go but up.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
30,887 Posts
I've watched them all pretty much - 19 years with Macs eh and it was far from the worst, in fact it reflects the new reality at Apple which I heartily applaud that they will NOT be dictated to by the shows for hardware.

Jobs is always good - perhaps the best ever at this kind of event and GarageBand deserved all the time it got. That is a terrific piece of work and will along with the iPod buzz get a lot of respect OUTSIDE the Mac community as well as in.

I suspect there are very good things in the works for the 20th Anniversary year.

There a limits on the horsepower and features of new hardware that we can expect. Apple has a good line up tho the Powerbook/iBook price performance is a bit out of whack. This will be a fine tuning a good thing year and likely a couple of surprises.

iLIfe 4 will for sure drive equipment sales both existing users moving up and perhaps new users looking at iLife as the way to go for their digital media.

The Mac community is still moving over - only 40% to X to this point but the G5, Panther and iLife should bring that number far higher very rapidly.

To go on stage live a do what he did with GarageBand was simply awesome and the audience response showed it. :cool:

That was an exciting Keynote IMNSHO. :cool:

I'd be curious to see how many of those yawning even own a G5.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Not sure you ask about the G5s. FWIW, I will be replacing my Sawtooth with a G5 later this year - maybe when they get to rev 2.

The keynote was mostly consistent with recent trends. Apple seems to want to push new products out and regular but random times, rather than try to upgrade half their product lines during the expos. Basically, they're changing with the times.

I still believe that we will see at least one major product announcement later this month. I don't see how Apple will let the 20th anniversary pass without making a big noise - a lot bigger noise than Steve made during the keynote.

- Martin.

·
Registered
292 Posts
i think garageband was worth every second. ESPECIALLY with the whole iLife suite @ $59.

my only disappointment was lack of ITMS canada, but hopefully it can get going before the superbowl & pepsi promotion...

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
I am not really surprised that the iTunes Music Store for Canada was not announced. Probably they'll make a small brou-ha-ha on the website for that. IT doesn't strike me as Keynote worthy. Japan on the other hand (their second largest market) would be Keynote worthy, although probably more fitting at MacWorld Tokyo.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts