14,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New version of iPhoto
New version of iTunes
New version of iMovie
------------------
Now included in iLife '04 - GarageBand
iDVD no longer requires SuperDrive-equipped Mac to Use
-- all the above included in the iLife '04 for $49 (U.S)

New Mini-iPods - $249 (U.S) 4 GB of Storage
-- Colors: Gold, Siliver, Pink, Blue, Green

10 GB iPod replaced with 15 GB iPod for the same price

------ G5 xServes (up to dual-processor 2 GHz processors)

Run Software Update later on today or tomorrow for the updates. ;) Apple Canad Store is online with all new products in CDN prices.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think this Expo was more of a Software-based one. ;) But I must say, some of that new software didn't fail to impress me.

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
I was hoping for speed-bumped PowerMac G5's, but I didn't really expect too much hardware. The PowerMac G5's are probably going to be announced end of January or in February. New iMacs will probably follow sometime in February or March.

·
peek-a-boo
16,608 Posts
I think garageband is awsome. I may have no need to boot the PC for Acid Pro now. And all for 49 bucks, that wll only sell more macs. I had a client in here and we watched the bit on garageband, he was going to buy a pc. He asked me where's a good place to buy a mac. ;)

I'm not suprised at the no new G5s though. My guess is in a month or two. I'll be hangin on to my dollars until then.

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
The big news (although not so obvious) is the new X-serve line-up. Those configs are truly awesome compared to the old range.

Will the iLife ('cept iDVD) updates be free downloads? E.g iPhoto, iMovie?

·
Registered
435 Posts
My guess is that they want to remove the myth that all speed upgrade must be made at a fixed date (expos).

Personnaly, my big disapointment was the lack of a new mac. They wasted 20mins talking about the history of the mac and went nowhere exept to congratulate how good they are... It was the perfect opportuinity to introduce a new product or a major overhaul of the mac...

Anyways, softwarewise, it was great except that I would have liked a new version of iChat and what about a demo of VP7 ? Also, showing MS Office on stage is a statement: Apple isnt going to developpe a office suite anytime soon.

Finaly, the mini ipod is a joke. Way over priced and I wouldnt be surprised if they made more money out of these than from the 'normal' iPods.

AND WHERE IS ITMS CANADA???

/me going back to work...

·
Premium Member
2,670 Posts
I was hoping for an update to the powerbook line, to be able to make the choice between Ibook G4 14" and Powerbook 12" easier. Can't the G4 line be pushed any faster?

I found this expo a little disapointing from a consumers point of view. Sure the xsearve is impressive, and ilife is nice, but the ipod mini as a finalé was a let down to say the least.

·
Registered
6 Posts
...and... no new monitors announced?

I was sure they'd announce a new lineup of 20", 23" and 30" displays. Damn.

Haikuu

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Most definitely software based, but Apple has been moving away from only using MacWorld as an event to release new products. They are spreading it out more evenly across the year, and Steve kept saying better things were to come this year.

Also last year, it was just a few weeks after MWSF that they came out with newer MDD models.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Jones: unless you really need a 80 gig portable HD and 1gig of ram or do pro stuff, take the iBook. It even has a faster video card!!! The only down side is the lower max ram. With the money you save, take an external HD, airport extreme and you are set. There are even hacks that allow dual monitor with the iBook, if I knew, I would have waited a few weeks and took the ibook instead of my PB...

Dont expect any upgrade for at lest 3 months +...

As for new monitors, I guess they will be availlable in a few weeks-months without any special announcement.

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
The new iLife package os great. but other than that, it was a complete letdown. Wish i could get that two hours of my life back.

·
Registered
728 Posts
this expo is the worst and most disappointing ever, should have not even been held.
if apple is experiencing technical/production issues of those new 'top secret' toys, they should have called off this expo instead of going ahead and i will fully understand and support their decision.
i guess the best and greatest indeed does screw up once in a while.

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
First congrats to Chealion for keeping the hordes in good humoured check and managing to answer 10 queries at the same time during the Chatroom. It was good fun, even with the stream playing on the side.

A bit disappointed by the over-self-congratulation and the lack of consistency in announcements. Was it really worth 2 hours?

Some cool stuff around iLife. GrarageBand is a good way to justify charging for upgrades (certainly no free downloads tonight). Certainly feels less of of a ripoff than my 2 week old Jag to Panther. A bit surprised that FCE2 comes out so quickly.

On the hardware side, expect some announcements to rebalance the iPod lineup: the new 15Gig kills the 20Gig, so it would have been neat to have 30 and 60 at the same time. Perhaps production problems or the need to reassure customers who have just forked out for Xmas. (or prepare the arrival of the iNewton
). It will be interesting to see what can be done in terms of creating 'synch sub-folders' as the mini can't take someone's average music collection.

I assume that the superbowl will focus on the pepsi iTunes campaign, so any Apple announcement will be on the 24th itself. Which is first this year?

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
I think that a lot of people have started expecting too much of the Keynote speech at Macworld. Then again, with so many rumours flying about I guess it can be hard not to expect a lot.

Personally I am happy with everything except that the faster iPhoto isn't available RIGHT NOW.

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
This wasn't the best keynote, but there what was expected was the iPod mini, iLife update, and an Xserve update (and possibly G5 speed bump).

Apple had just bumped their more or less, and that the time to bump it again isn't until about February (Macworld Tokyo) or March. Apple tends to like to have products last between updates 6 to 8 months.

That told, there is also the other movement by Apple away from the Macworld expos for large announcements. They were finding that their sales really dropped off the month before the expos, and so with the near abadonment of MWNY this past summer and the obvious emphasis on many new products coming this year, I believe that Apple will be bringing our products as they are ready rather then giving expos with tons of new products. That is my opinion, not fact however, it is possible they will change directions and prove me wrong.

All in all, Apple's new products are quite good. If you remember last year's MWSF, they released a bump to the MDD line just a few weeks after MWSF.

My only complaint is that my 2 week old Powerbook will require me to pay for iLife, but I did know the likely hood of something was going to happen when I bought it. Save up some money, and I should be able to create some music with GarageBand.
Makes me glad I have an 80 gig drive now.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
My only complaint is that my 2 week old Powerbook will require me to pay for iLife

If you are willing to wait until you are back in school Chealion, the iLife '04 package is only 40 bucks with an educational discount.

·
Premium Member
6,590 Posts
GarageBand (!) plus the iLife updates for $48 Americano works for me. I think Apple will pull some stealthy, low-key hardware updates in the coming two months... it's part of their new pattern. I expect they have new equipment in the channel but distribution and/or teething problems delayed them from being able to announce them today.

This was definitely a software-focussed expo, but there has to be some segment of the market happy about G6 X-Serves and the iPod changes.

Now I have to sit and wait for GarageBand... better buy an adapter cable for my guitar. Beyond that though, I'm also excited about the speed boost of iPhoto, an app I find myself using with increasing frequency as sort of a companion app to P-Shop. I'm not into portable digital music, so the iPod developments don't faze me. I'd rather see a G5 iMac as a new acquisition for the home office set-up. Guess that's still at least a few months away yet.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts