Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!

Ted Kritsonis, editor of MacWorld Canada here. Just wanted to let you all know that I will be on hand in San Francisco to blog LIVE from Apple's WWDC! I'd love to have you check out our new blog page, which will make its debut at tomorrow's conference. :clap:

Macworld Canada Blogs

Also, I will be meeting with Apple executives after the show is over, and would be thrilled to ask them any questions you might have on your behalf. So, if you have something you want to know, just respond here or post comments on our blog and I'll make sure to get the info for you.

ehMac's very own Mayor will be a mainstay on the MacWorld Canada blog as well and I'm sure he'll be chiming in with his thoughts on the news. :)

Look forward to hearing from the great community here. Cheers!

·
Premium Member
2,084 Posts
I can't believe no one has answered this thread!

So here I go! :)

Any news on the foreseeable future of Apple's digital media world involving the AppleTV and the rumours of a media server (housing up to 4 hard drives). I think this is a missing link in Apple's media world and knowing them, something they could perfectly integrate.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
11,953 Posts
Also, I will be meeting with Apple executives after the show is over, and would be thrilled to ask them any questions you might have on your behalf.
Hi Ted!

Speaking for myself, I have three "items" I'd like you to pass long to the Apple execs:

(1) Tell em I hope Steve is feeling better.

(2) They need to be more supportive of Canada's MUGs. It's kind of uneven around the country, and Apple could use more travelling presenters.

(3) To the extent that is possible, Canada's iTunes Store needs to more closely match the US store in terms of variety of content. NA rights should *not* be this hard to match up.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Echo chas_m on (1).

The real question is what is the frontier for Apple in the next 3 years?
How do they see growing the business, what are the interesting areas for Apple to get into?
Are they entering a period of consolidation and flattening out on growth?
Or do they believe constant stimulus is the way to maintain interest in a fickle retail audience?

Exploiting the home entertainment space is an obvious area to tackle - the negligible investment in the appleTV hardware front is a joke - I would expect them to be truly innovative here to capture the couch potato market.

Edit: What is their take on the enterprise market? Are they going to try and re-enter it in a meaningful way?

·
Premium Member
11,953 Posts
The real question is what is the frontier for Apple in the next 3 years?
Your questions are good, but it's unrealistic to think Apple would answer them.

the negligible investment in the appleTV hardware front is a joke
You're ignoring the zillions that went into making the iTunes Store and all the "underpinnings" of the OS that enable a device like the AppleTV to exist at all. Microsoft has been trying to do something that good for YEARS prior to Apple getting in there, and their offerings are kind of pathetic by comparison. One need look only at their respective remotes to see what kind of an "experience" you're going to have with each.

I would expect them to be truly innovative here to capture the couch potato market.
I'm curious as to why you think this is a market Apple WANTS to go after?

Edit: What is their take on the enterprise market? Are they going to try and re-enter it in a meaningful way?
This has already been asked and answered, but it's the only one of your questions someone from Apple might even try to address.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Your questions are good, but it's unrealistic to think Apple would answer them.

You're ignoring the zillions that went into making the iTunes Store and all the "underpinnings" of the OS that enable a device like the AppleTV to exist at all. Microsoft has been trying to do something that good for YEARS prior to Apple getting in there, and their offerings are kind of pathetic by comparison. One need look only at their respective remotes to see what kind of an "experience" you're going to have with each.

I'm curious as to why you think this is a market Apple WANTS to go after?

This has already been asked and answered, but it's the only one of your questions someone from Apple might even try to address.

Chas_m:
No offence, but my comments weren't really directed for your critique :)

Whether my expectations of an answer are unrealistic or not, doesn't make it a bad question to ask.

Given that Apple has invested as much as it has in the iTunes business both around TV and movies, it seems reasonable that home entertainment is a target market. Having said that, for a computing company, they need a better computing platform for home integration than what is essentially a sleeper product.

Whether something has been asked and answered in the past, doesn't make it a redundant question to ask again - the h/w enterprise landscape is changing again - SUN was a dead and fading player here - given the Oracle acquisition, there is a lot of speculation on how that'll revive the business - its not idly speculative to consider potentially interesting linkage with McNealy, Ellison and Jobs in an interesting triumvate.

Part of the fun of this is speculation, but interesting speculation - if you're blase about the current state of something, don't let it color what others may still find interesting.

Have a good day and thank you for your interest in my idle ramblings.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey everyone,
So I'm back at the hotel after spending some time with a couple of Apple execs, and I'm sorry to say that I couldn't get anything about Apple TV at all. It was all iPhone and MacBook Pro.

I will be meeting with Apple again on Wednesday for a more in-depth interview and demo back home in Toronto. If you guys have any questions specific to the announcements made today, please pass them on to me and I'll find out for you. ;)

Curious about tethering in iPhone 3.0. (Being able to hook my laptop up to my iPhone for internet access through Rogers 3G) Is it fully there, will this be supported in by Rogers in Canada? Any info would be great.
Re: iPhone tethering, I will want to talk to Rogers when I get a chance to find out if there are any loopholes or fine print in making this work. Their logo was clear as day on the list of carriers that will offer tethering, so I'm going to assume that everything is cool. I will find out more on Wednesday, but as far as I can see, I think everything should work normally.

Just the perpetual ones. When will we get a bottom of the line iMac with a worthy monitor. Or alternatively how about that mid-range mini-tower.

6 years and holding with the old eMac.
No mention of iMacs at all, but I did get a sense that Apple will be pushing their notebooks a lot more, so I'm not sure what that will mean for the price of future iMacs down the line.

This may be old news by now, but the new 13" MacBook Pro will effectively replace the 13" aluminum MacBooks, leaving only the white one as the one true "MacBook". The black one (which I have) has been discontinued and apparently won't come back. Ever.

I asked if the regular MacBook might fall to an $899 or even $799 price point, but got a very PR answer about how Apple tries to offer value at "great price points".

What is their take on the enterprise market? Are they going to try and re-enter it in a meaningful way?
Aside from the Exchange support they kept touting, Apple hasn't said anything about enterprise. I don't even remember hearing about a Snow Leopard Server version, either. It seems to me that they figure they can integrate the Mac with Windows environments as a more cost-effective and stealthy way of increasing their presence in enterprise. This is just a guess, mind you, as I have no verifiable comments or evidence to confirm that.

Personally, I was a bit surprised that Apple TV wasn't mentioned at all. Given the feedback everyone is giving and the open threads on the product on ehMac, it's something that definitely needs an overhaul. But nothing was mentioned about media servers at all, other than HTTP streaming. Who knows, maybe there will be an announcement in September for a new Apple TV.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My bad... there is a Snow Leopard Server version coming in September as well. Sorry for the screwup on my earlier post!

·
Premium Member
2,084 Posts
thanks for trying regarding the appletv teddy. interesting, but i guess the focus was on the iphones. very interesting about the improvements and focus on the laptops. they are very handy, but i do love my 24" imac screen :)

thanks again,
keebler

1 - 9 of 9 Posts