Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is similar to last year's MacHeist promotion. 7 unlocked apps for $49.95 with 3 more unlocked if the sales hit certain numbers.

MacUpdate Software Bundle Sale:

• GraphicConverter - image editor/converter
• Fetch - FTP Client
• iWOW - iTunes audio enhancement plug in
• GarageSale - eBay auction software
• Cocktail - Mac OS X system utility
• ProfCast - Record presentations for podcasts
• Amadeus Pro - Multitrack Audio editor
• Little Snitch * - Prevents applications from "phoning home".
• Intaglio * - Drawing and Illustration
• TechTool Pro * - Repair utility

* Three of the applications are "locked" unless a certain number of goal sales are met. 2500 sales for Little Snitch, 4000 sales for Intaglio and 9999 sales for TechTool Pro. Once unlocked, they will be available for everyone who purchased a bundle.

·
Premium Member
15,709 Posts
It isn't just similar to MacHeist's promotion, it's a direct ripoff (according to MacHeist) and they are either pissed or pretending to be pissed.

MacHeist skunk works » Blog Archive »

Dear Heist Operatives,

Over the past few days, members of the skunk works project (ongoing within
MacHeist) have identified the intellectual thief as MacUpdate, and uncovered the
information required to exact careful and fair revenge.

The result of their work is now visible on:

MacHeist skunk works » Blog Archive »

In addition, you can register to see the full story so far. We hope you enjoy
this little treat!

- The Directorate
"Why join the navy if you can be a pirate?" - Steve Jobs, during the Macintosh skunk works project
Welcome to the final product of the MacHeist skunk works project. Over the past few days, thousands of invited MacHeist members worked as a group through puzzles, elections, and even a mole hunt. But most importantly, as the group solidfied, they were put to work, and succeeded on identifying and designing the perfect, fair revenge plan to a gross act of intellectual theft.

With the help of community members, Mac developers (including Trygve Inda of XericDesign, Brian Ameriges of Flow, and Saulius and Aidas Dailide of Pixelmator, among others), and even Mac media (Jacqui Cheng, assistant editor of Ars Technica, Richard Neal from The Apple Blog, Colin from MacBytes, and Arn Kim from MacRumors), the skunk works team has succeeded in its goals over a few short days, unraveling a MacUpdate conspiracy, and exacting a complicated, community driven plan for perfect revenge.
Our partners in crime

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. But we want some plunder.

See, apparently MacUpdate is pretty confident in squashing us, because they began sending us anonymous taunts by email a week ago showing plans and designs for a sale clearly lifted directly from the MacHeist bundle week concept. (Unlock points. Number of apps. Price point. Design elements. Marketing tactics.) Very confident. Confident enough for the head of MacUpdate to leave, at 6:00 AM EDT, for a two day long vacation. We kid you not.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I dunno...ripoff or not (heck, what isn't a ripoff of something else these days), their bundle just doesn't seem as good as the one from MacHeist. I'm still kicking myself for not going for MacHesit but MacUpdate bundle doesn't appeal to me at all.

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
I think MacUpdate and MacHeist are in cahoots. If you go to the MacHeist site and buy through them, they take you to the MacUpdate site with a special identifier on the URL. This will allow MacUpdate to know who the link came from. If they weren't in this together, why would MacHeist do this?

·
Registered
650 Posts
I think MacUpdate and MacHeist are in cahoots. If you go to the MacHeist site and buy through them, they take you to the MacUpdate site with a special identifier on the URL. This will allow MacUpdate to know who the link came from. If they weren't in this together, why would MacHeist do this?
Maybe coz of the rumor about the first Macheist...

·
Registered
206 Posts
Just to resurrect this tread...it looks like they'll barely make 4,000 sold, if that.

Did anyone here buy the bundle? If not, why?

Is this the end of the MacHeist concept or do we just need a better bundle?

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
I bought the last bundle, it seemed pretty cool. I don't think I really used any of the software in the end. This time it just didn't seem interesting.
  • SRS - don't need it.
  • Ebay client - don't need it.
  • Cocktail - interesting, but the free Onyx seems to do the trick.
  • ProfCast - don't need it.
  • Amadeus Pro - Looks interesting, but I don't really have a use for it.
  • Fetch - looks nice, but I'm OK with the command line when I need it.
  • GraphicConverter - Didn't this come with my mac? Used it once or twice.
  • Little snitch - most interesting package of the pack. Wonder if it will continue to work with Leopard?
  • Intaglio - wasn't sure if this was going to get unlocked, but it is only 4 away now. Not sure why I'd want it though. I know it's a drawing program rather than a painting program, but I have PS CS2 that handles what I need.
  • TechToolPro - not sure if this will get unlocked. Don't know why I'd need it. I use SuperDuper for full backups, and Apple Backup for important files, so I don't need to fix a broken file system.

So, even for $50, I don't see a lot of value in this bundle.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I bought the last bundle, it seemed pretty cool. I don't think I really used any of the software in the end. This time it just didn't seem interesting.
  • SRS - don't need it.
  • Ebay client - don't need it.
  • Cocktail - interesting, but the free Onyx seems to do the trick.
  • ProfCast - don't need it.
  • Amadeus Pro - Looks interesting, but I don't really have a use for it.
  • Fetch - looks nice, but I'm OK with the command line when I need it.
  • GraphicConverter - Didn't this come with my mac? Used it once or twice.
  • Little snitch - most interesting package of the pack. Wonder if it will continue to work with Leopard?
  • Intaglio - wasn't sure if this was going to get unlocked, but it is only 4 away now. Not sure why I'd want it though. I know it's a drawing program rather than a painting program, but I have PS CS2 that handles what I need.
  • TechToolPro - not sure if this will get unlocked. Don't know why I'd need it. I use SuperDuper for full backups, and Apple Backup for important files, so I don't need to fix a broken file system.

Intaglio just got unlocked.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I totally agree with you. I'm still tempted to get it for a few of the gems and to support the community but if I do go for it, it'll be a last minute discussion.

Here are my comments on each of the apps:

SRS - I've heard it's pretty cool but nothing I can't live without.
Ebay client - I don't think I've ever bought or sold anything on eBay.
Cocktail - Seems interesting but, again, nothing I can't live without
ProfCast - Useless unless you're a student.
Amadeus Pro - I prefer Audacity, which is open source.
Fetch - There's a ton open source options like Cyberduck and FileZilla
GraphicConverter - Ok...this is interesting but has plenty of open source competitors!
Little snitch - This is interesting too. I use the limited version now.
Intaglio - Again, a ton of open source options that are just as good.
TechToolPro - hehe...it'll never get unlocked.

MacHeist bonus apps:

WriteRoom 2.1 - Completely useless!
BrowseBack 1.3.1 - Interesting but I doubt I'd actually use it.
Exces 1.1.3 - Interesting but I doubt I'd actually use it.
Linkinus 1.1 - You mean people pay for an IRC client?!?
Pixelmator beta - People pay for beta software?
Flow beta - People pay for beta software?

Ops...I forgot about all the people who coughed up money for the original OS X beta. :lmao:

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
I really like PhotoPresenter. To me, it's almost worth the $49.99. The others are a bonus. Not sure about TechTool Pro. Leapord will be coming out soon which will probably render it useless until an update.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.