Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently read a thread on TheMacMind forums that several people were telling Mac users across several web sites to boycott MacUpdate.com because the massive download site was refusing to link to "Speed Download" for some reason, I'm not sure now.

Thoughts? I think it's pretty stupid, just because they don't want to link to Speed Download.

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
Some of these "download enhancers" have been found to be worms, key loggers, adware, and the like while not speeding up downloads one whit.

If all is well with this particular program, they'll link to it once they investigate the issue.

I find MacUpdate to be very responsible with regard to investigating Mac malware and don't have any problem with their position at all (they pulled one freeware program I eMailed about with my concerns, which they were able to verify).

Keep in mind that once you enter your password and allow a program to install, it can do whatever it wants, secret or otherwise.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
609 Posts
I think the ban is mainly because Speed Download (by default-can be turned off) now links to MacShareware site, a new competitor to MacUpdate, Versiontracker, etc. and integrated with SpeedDownload. Read comments here:
VT comments

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
I said before on another thread that SD was a bummer. Now I am more convinced than ever. Glad I didn't take the bad advice to use SD when it was offered.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
FWIW, VersionTracker refused to show Speed Download first, and recieved a great deal of flak for it.

VT and MU are after all businesses, and promoting or advertising products that go against your products just doesn't work.

eg. MacUpdate has UpdateRadar while VT has VersionTracker Pro. You won't find those on other Mac site's list of software.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Guys its one thing to not want to use an application for whatever reason, but it's another thing to spread rumors about something. The proper way to go on about finding information about a topic of interest is to simply go to the source and so we did. Being full time users of Speed Download, we were also peeved of the fact that VT and MU refused to list even though some argue that SD2 was there before VT and MU started offering the service that SD2 supposedly competes again. If you want to know the real reason, here's what's been posted on the Yazsoft site today regarding that very topic:

http://www.yazsoft.com/devnotes.html

As for SD2 being a worm, a virus, or whatever else other nonsense some people call it, I think this is the most absurd of them all. All one has to do is try SD2. Also, as far as SD2 increasing the load of servers in concerned, that in itself is a very very very debatable and hardly significant point simply because of the huge bandwidth that most servers have.

Just our 2 cents.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts