MacUpdate Desktop
DVDRemaster Pro 7
Mac DVDRipper 2
Hands Off
App Tamer
TechTool Pro 5
Civilization 4
A Better Finder Rename

I don't think I'll be getting this one as I have a good number of them already. Not a bad deal for those who don't.

·
Premium Member
3,882 Posts
TechTool Pro 6 is the current version. The upgrade from 5, to 6, is $40.00.

Perhaps I'm nitpicking, but just sayin'. :cool:

Reactions: broad

·
Registered
189 Posts
The link you posted was a referral link (i.e., someone gets paid a portion of sales for sending people to the website). If this was intentional, I think some disclosure is appropriate.

Un-referred URL: https://www.mupromo.com/

·
Premium Member
4,559 Posts
TechTool Pro 6 is the current version. The upgrade from 5, to 6, is $40.00.

Perhaps I'm nitpicking, but just sayin'. :cool:
that's a real shame. I'm dissappointed that MU would include old software in one of their bundles.

I still think it's a great deal for anyone that doesn't have 1password & Parallels.

G

·
that's a real shame. I'm dissappointed that MU would include old software in one of their bundles.

I still think it's a great deal for anyone that doesn't have 1password & Parallels.
It's not a surprise to me that they do this, it's quite often "end of life" versions of things in there (i.e. they are just about to release big updates and trying to squeeze as much $$ out of the older one as possible). All too often as well the original vendors of the product won't accept any of these bundled app purchases when it comes time to upgrade the individual apps. I've been bitten there in the past and therefore I rarely buy any of these bundles anymore unless there's something that's really outstanding value wise with it that makes it worthwhile even without updates.

·
Premium Member
4,559 Posts
I've been disappointed in the past with some of the programs in the macheist bundle where they've been "special" bundle versions (anything from Boinx) or virtual vapourware that remains in beta forever.

And I've also had the version right before the update in bundles. But i think this may be the first time where there's a new version and they're flogging the an old version.

I guess it's buyer beware. Still, i think it's good value for anyone who doesn't have 1password as they're a very solid developer and it's great software.

·
Indigent Academic
8,115 Posts
Mostly these bundle promos are one big :yawn: :yawn:

Stale and cripplled versions. XX)

At best one item I might be vaguely interested amongst a btunch of so-so's.....

Pass.

·
Premium Member
1,321 Posts
I don't mind the fact that the software being offered is end of life stuff as long as the upgrade pricing is reasonable!

John

·
Registered
81 Posts
I was going to get this cause I've always wanted OnePassword but then again Lion will be coming out soon and may break everyone of these apps and I'll have to wait and most likely pay for the next version that will support Lion.

·
Premium Member
7,115 Posts
Mostly these bundle promos are one big :yawn: :yawn:

Stale and cripplled versions. XX)

At best one item I might be vaguely interested amongst a btunch of so-so's.....

Pass.
:confused:

Crippled? I've yet to purchase a bundle with any crippled software. Stale? Perhaps. These deals are getting old and nobody seems to be offering anything new and exciting. There are rare occasions when a new version of (maybe) one of the offerings is released around the same time. Regardless, you still can't beat the price, and it allows you to save on upgrades for future releases anyway.

·
Indigent Academic
8,115 Posts
Regardless, you still can't beat the price, and it allows you to save on upgrades for future releases anyway.
Assuming i wanted anything in the bundle. My usual issue is that there is never anything new in these offers so, if interested, I already have anything I might find useful. Actually, I tend to use very little software over and above what came with the Mac from new.

G

·
:confused:

Crippled? I've yet to purchase a bundle with any crippled software. Stale? Perhaps. These deals are getting old and nobody seems to be offering anything new and exciting. There are rare occasions when a new version of (maybe) one of the offerings is released around the same time. Regardless, you still can't beat the price, and it allows you to save on upgrades for future releases anyway.
I've bought exactly 2 of these bundles ever. Both of them had software that was un-upgradable (because the original vendors stated it was part of a bundle deal and they didn't offer upgrade paths for those). The first one it was VMWare, the second I don't remember off hand which software it was. At the end of the day I ended up getting the VMWare people to let me upgrade because they didn't actually state anywhere with the bundle purchase that it would be any different than a standard "retail" version ... it took a lot of complaining and about a month but they finally gave me an upgrade price .. which was more $$ than the standard upgrade price, so at the end of the day I didn't save a dime and in fact spent a lot more as I had to fight with them for a month to get the upgrade. Again I don't remember what the second one was, but it was also the main piece of software I bought the bundle for. Since then I've been much less tempted to get any of them.

·
Premium Member
7,115 Posts
Assuming i wanted anything in the bundle. My usual issue is that there is never anything new in these offers so, if interested, I already have anything I might find useful. Actually, I tend to use very little software over and above what came with the Mac from new.
Yes, assuming you wanted anything in the bundle. But that's neither here nor there, is it? Your software needs appear to be simple and outside the target demographic. (Not exactly an accurate cross-section of the typical user, is it?) ;)

Yes, as I agreed, it would seem nothing new is offered, but have a bit of perspective: ever since MacHeist introduced this model, everyone and their dog has jumped on the bandwagon. It's bound to get dry fast.

I've bought exactly 2 of these bundles ever. Both of them had software that was un-upgradable (because the original vendors stated it was part of a bundle deal and they didn't offer upgrade paths for those). The first one it was VMWare, the second I don't remember off hand which software it was. At the end of the day I ended up getting the VMWare people to let me upgrade because they didn't actually state anywhere with the bundle purchase that it would be any different than a standard "retail" version ... it took a lot of complaining and about a month but they finally gave me an upgrade price .. which was more $$ than the standard upgrade price, so at the end of the day I didn't save a dime and in fact spent a lot more as I had to fight with them for a month to get the upgrade. Again I don't remember what the second one was, but it was also the main piece of software I bought the bundle for. Since then I've been much less tempted to get any of them.
Like I said: It's never happened to me but it might depend on which site offered the bundle (MacUpdate, MacHeist, etc.). All I know is that I get e-mail from developers who partook in bundles such as these offering upgrade pricing when their new software came out.

Regardless, you still paid less than you would have had you bought VMWare brand new, right?

Clearly, the important thing in any transaction is to read the fine print. If there was none on the original bundle, then you had every right to fight for the upgrade price. Years ago I spent six months fighting with Apple over double-billing me on AppleCare--something that should have been fixed cut and dry.

$h!t happens.

·
Premium Member
15,657 Posts
I just got an email for a different "bundle" yesterday:
"eSellerate is proud to partner with the following developers in offering some of the best applications available for the Macintosh - all for the low price of $49.95. Total bundle valued at more than $285.00!"
https://store2.esellerate.net/store...t.aspx?s=STR1300728169&pc=&page=GreatApps.htm

Nothing I need and some seem to be rather dated and are still at their old release version state.

G

·
Regardless, you still paid less than you would have had you bought VMWare brand new, right?

Clearly, the important thing in any transaction is to read the fine print. If there was none on the original bundle, then you had every right to fight for the upgrade price. Years ago I spent six months fighting with Apple over double-billing me on AppleCare--something that should have been fixed cut and dry.

$h!t happens.
Yes and no. At the end of the day I think I saved about $10 but spent about a month fighting for it (unless you count all the other stuff that came in the bundle that I didn't really use).

I'm currently in that sort of a fight with Rogers regarding iPad 3G access that they screwed up when they had to update my CC for an expired date .. sure enough they kept billing but I never received any data from that point forward -- it kept telling me that I had 0 bytes of data left available and that I needed to add more -- but their system wouldn't let me because it had my address all screwed up. I figured it was because of the expired card and that the "fix" they did never took and that I wasn't getting billed so who cares ... but they were still billing me and just not providing the data I was paying for because my account was "invalid".

They have now promised me that they credited my card for the 3 months I paid with no access but it's been 2+ weeks and it hasn't shown up on the card yet :/

At some point it's diminishing returns with this sort of stuff, keep wasting time on hold and re-explaining things over and over again to different people or just write it off and save yourself the time.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Ive bought a couple macheist bundles. I usually never end up using much out of them but the stuff I do use is worth bundle cost or more. And a few times now Ive gone looking for software for something and when I was about to download the demo, or even considered buying something I realize I already have it. I've never got stuck yet wit anything was wasn't upgradable to the newer version.

Not going to get this deal tho- I could buy every program I actually want out of it and it would cost less then $49.

·
Premium Member
1,321 Posts
You have to agree that the price is at a discount from all the apps priced together!

Whether you need one or more of the apps or not it is a good deal!

Also for those who complain that the newer versions are just around the corner just wait and pay full price!

The version I use today is the one that works for me and I don't need tomorrows version!

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
Apple should be smart and put together bundles like this through the Mac App store. You click "Buy" and all the apps download and install and it automatically keeps track of updates for individual titles.

Macupdate sells tens of thousands, I bet Apple would sell hundreds of thousands.

I've bought a bundle before, and I found managing the licenses and installers a little time consuming.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts