Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,290 Posts
Ouch

Fire is one of the most horrifying things to happen to a house. It looks like you are settled away now, but I am sure that it was day by day disaster for awhile.

It looks like you got good service from the adjusters. I have seen where if the adjuster is not happy with what is going on, the owner gets stalled for a year or so.

·
Premium Member
3,882 Posts
Good to see you're getting back to normal Spec.
Can you come and clean our kitchen? Our kitchen hasn't been that clean since we moved in. :eek:

·
Tritium Glow
7,141 Posts
Looks great. The larger deck is certainly a nice improvement and by the location of your fridge, I can see why you had a concern about the damage made by the delivery guys. The cabinets look great.

I noticed your trim has gaps at the miters and I can still see nailholes. Was this a pre-existing condition or was the contractor sloppy? If miter joints are glued, they'll never come apart, these were not. That bathroom trim should be filled and repainted with oil due to the humidity and moisture filled conditions of the room. Over time, it'll get worse.

We dealt with a similar situation by using a double insulated vinyl window with privacy glass, low cost subway tile and bull-nose trim tile combined with a marble sill.

·
Premium Member
3,119 Posts
Nice one, M!

If you'll just kick back now and have a beer, I won't feel so guilty holding this one in my mitt. :D

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks great. The larger deck is certainly a nice improvement and by the location of your fridge, I can see why you had a concern about the damage made by the delivery guys. The cabinets look great.

I noticed your trim has gaps at the miters and I can still see nailholes. Was this a pre-existing condition or was the contractor sloppy? If miter joints are glued, they'll never come apart, these were not. That bathroom trim should be filled and repainted with oil due to the humidity and moisture filled conditions of the room. Over time, it'll get worse.

We dealt with a similar situation by using a double insulated vinyl window with privacy glass, low cost subway tile and bull-nose trim tile combined with a marble sill.
very sloppy crew for that job
i'll probably have to get someone in to re-do it

i'll get someone to paint the bathroom trim with oil based paint as per your suggestion - never thought about that

thanks

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ouch

Fire is one of the most horrifying things to happen to a house. It looks like you are settled away now, but I am sure that it was day by day disaster for awhile.

It looks like you got good service from the adjusters. I have seen where if the adjuster is not happy with what is going on, the owner gets stalled for a year or so.

adjuster and clean up contractor recommended by the adjuster were both very horrible
contractor left my house unlocked twice and lost my key once and owner didn't see it as a big deal
adjuster claimed getting me expense money to live on would take "several weeks" until i contacted insurance company directly and raised hell
i didn't get a cheque from the insurance company for my buy out for over 100 days

i had to fire the contractor, negotiate a buy out and sub-contracted the work myself

my advice to anyone with damage to their home and going thru an insurance company is NOT TO TRUST ANYTHING ANYONE SAYS

get everything in writing
use ONLY email for ALL correspondance
video tape ANY in person meetings

there's gotta be a book from all this

·
Tritium Glow
7,141 Posts
very sloppy crew for that job
i'll probably have to get someone in to re-do it

i'll get someone to paint the bathroom trim with oil based paint as per your suggestion - never thought about that

thanks
I learned a lot renovating my 80yr old house...some of it the hard way. ;)

I would also make sure that the window is properly sealed, insulated and there are no drafts. A warm room filled with moisture laden air coming into contact with cold air from the outside will cause you problems and you won't even be aware of them because they're hidden from view. The wood trim will also experience greater expansion and shrinkage even when it's primed and painted. All wood must contain moisture, otherwise it would become nothing but dust. Expansion and contraction is a natural state of wood --that's why woodworkers glue all joints. A glued joint is actually stronger than the wood.

One more thing. We used low expansion foam around the rough opening and window frame instead of glass fiber insulation to seal gaps. Low expansion, because some foams will continue to expand and can warp the window/door frames. Warped frames will cause problems with functionality. Especially during seasonal temperature fluctuations. This may not be as big a problem today as it was years ago, but I thought I mention it.

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I learned a lot renovating my 80yr old house...some of it the hard way. ;)

I would also make sure that the window is properly sealed, insulated and there are no drafts. A warm room filled with moisture laden air coming into contact with cold air from the outside will cause you problems and you won't even be aware of them because they're hidden from view. The wood trim will also experience greater expansion and shrinkage even when it's primed and painted. All wood must contain moisture, otherwise it would become nothing but dust. Expansion and contraction is a natural state of wood --that's why woodworkers glue all joints. A glued joint is actually stronger than the wood.

One more thing. We used low expansion foam around the rough opening and window frame instead of glass fiber insulation to seal gaps. Low expansion, because some foams will continue to expand and can warp the window/door frames. Warped frames will cause problems with functionality. Especially during seasonal temperature fluctuations. This may not be as big a problem today as it was years ago, but I thought I mention it.
windows were installed in 2004 and that company was great
they reviewed all windows and said they were ok

i also used that low expansion foam around windows

the insulators taped and caulked around each door and window
inspector was impressed by that

·
Tritium Glow
7,141 Posts
windows were installed in 2004 and that company was great
they reviewed all windows and said they were ok

i also used that low expansion foam around windows

the insulators taped and caulked around each door and window
inspector was impressed by that

In that case it's just cosmetic. Enjoy the new digs.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.