Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I switched back to Mac about a year ago for my work notebook. My work environment is almost entirely PC. At home I have a Win98 machine. Recently my 15 year old has been introduced to DV production and other creative tasks at high school. She likes it and is good at it. Our PC can't do what she needs, so I'll upgrade soon.

I want a Mac for our home. It's more reliable, easier to use, especially for digital hub stuff, and easier to configure and control with regard to what kids can do. But she and my smaller kid (5) are growing up in a PC world. The little one spends an hour each day learning computing basics. So I worry I am confusing her little mind if I get a Mac. In other words, am I placing an unnecessary burden on her just because I prefer Mac and also because I strongly dislike MS's monopoly, control and desire to have every piece of info on me and my family?

But then I think - what is our goal here? If it is to make her computer literate and comfortable with technology, then maybe I will do her a favor: she will learn PCs at school and Mac at home. She will not be afraid when she meets a new OS (she might work in a Linux OS one day) and will have an open mind about technology. I believe that with a Mac you concentrate on what the machine can do, not on thinking about how to make it work.

There is the lingering fear of being left out or left behind. I'll have to find a way of dealing with this.

Does anyone have any thoughts or experiences on these points?

·
Premium Member
2,670 Posts
Unfortunatly there is probably more leaning software for your five year old for the PC, but a mac would be great for your older one.

As for learning and cofusing them, it is easier for them at an earlier age to learn than it is for an adult. Plus the over all operations of both OS's are similar, due to microsoft copying the Mac OS, so there wouldn't be much to learn. The only problem would be going back to school and having to use nasty PC's.

·
Premium Member
2,700 Posts
Unfortunatly there is probably more leaning software for your five year old for the PC, but a mac would be great for your older one.
Quantity does not equal quality! Think of it this way, only the best are ported to the Mac. Ask yourself why there are so many Macs in schools? Worried that your 15yr old won't be able to do DV production on a Mac?! Puh-leze. Aren't the education/film/print fields the strongholds for Mac? (That's a rhetorical question by the way.
)

I also think it's a good idea to be exposed to more than one OS, so Mac it up at home and let them toil at school as they will in work on Windows. By the way, you can thank your children's schoolboard's CFO for their short-sighted approach to economics regarding ROI for computer purchases.

·
Premium Member
2,670 Posts
It's not always the best software that comes to mac, it's usually whoever decides to make it compatible. Why do you think apple is creating their own software now?

I don't buy software for children, so I don't know what is available for them, but I'm sure there are a hell of a lot more applications for the PC than the Mac.

I'm not saying that PC software is better cause it has more, but if you want to buy application for your 5 year old to learn on, then I don't think Mac will facilitate that as well as a PC.

As for the 15 year old with DV production in mind, Mac is perfect, especially with apples imove or final cut express software.

·
Premium Member
3,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks
Most of the Mac software for the smaller monster (oops...kid) is pretty good. And yes, i agree, there seems no issue that the Mac is better for the older one's creative stuff. Clearly an XP machine can do it to, but I think she will spend more time creating and less managing the OS and software on a Mac.

I want to upgrade soon......will probably call MacDoc and see what sort of machine is available. I like the 20" iMac, but it ain't cheap...on the other hand my PC monitor is about finished......there is always a way to talk yourself into a great Mac!

by the way, I totally agree that the school boards are foolish in their tech purchasing. They think of the upfront dollars and buy from dell, and then are tied into maintenance contracts and/or leasing upgrades that cost more in the long run. My little kids computer room is stuffed with Dells...but around 20% are out of action at any time, and they are only 2 years old.

If you spend time on these forums it's amazing how many folks are using Macs way older than any PC. macs are way better value

·
Premium Member
1,779 Posts
You now what? I don't think the OS your children use matters. My 4 year old uses both seemlessly in our home. The capacity for learning never stops amazing me. I think just being comfortable with technology is the primary goal in all of this anyway.
Also, both systems will, in a new configuration, meet all of your goals.
That being said, Macs are safer, easier and because of lack of issues, alot more fun. Energy is funneled to the creative rather than to frustration(Yours fixing and theirs using alike)
Last point is this, their is nothing wrong with being different and creating your sense of individuality. Being different from the crowd creates character. It's been a long time since I was a kid, but I don't think kids are ostrasizing each other over the OS they use.
Good Luck!!

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
They think of the upfront dollars and buy from dell, and then are tied into maintenance contracts and/or leasing upgrades that cost more in the long run.
capital costs vs. operating costs
few studes are quoted by tech. salespeople that take into account not just how much an item costs, but how much it costs to maintain it

hard dollars vs. soft dollars
hard dollars are the cheque you write
soft dollars are the time wasted fixing something that should have been running in the first place OR figuring something out

if an item costs more, but can show that it is less costly to maintain (less user time = soft dollars and less tech. time = operating costs), one can make for a very strong argument for the higher priced item (hard dollars and capital costs)

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about the differences for a 5 year old between a Mac and Windows. For the end user, the basic computing skills are pretty much the same. It's the things just beyond basic computing that start to make a bigger difference, eg. Mac's are simpler, no right clicking needed to access features.

As you said it is better for the Digital Hub, and well why not allow your children to nurture their creativity with Apple's suit of products? Windows doesn't have anything really comparable to it, and the products that do come close cost a heck of a lot more then "free with your computer". And even now, the upgrade to the latest version is only $60.

Their is a strong misconception that kids should grow up using Windows because they will be forced to use it in the business world. If someone is comfortable in using a computer, they can do similar tasks on both platforms, the biggest difference will be the programs and ease of use.

If anything the only thing she might be left out on is the latest round of virii, worms and such. The only other large scale problem she might have with using a Mac over a PC is that she won't be able to open an .exe.

In my experience, using a Mac, then jumping to Windows to try it made me appreciate my Mac even more. For a normal end user, it won't be a very large matter. For me it was different as I had to learn how the system worked so I could fix the problems that would crop up. Not overly difficult, just different.

Hope this helps a little. My advice is get the Mac. Hopefully then your only problems will be that they want the latest video camera and FCE2 instead of iMovie because they want to go to the next level ;)

·
Premium Member
30,887 Posts
Ducks to water.........get a Mac - stand back watch in awe the kids will blow you away.

No viruses and far less........ Daddy it's broke.

An iMac 400 in the $500 range would be ideal for the little one and there is tons and tons of terrific Mac software out there for that age.

The same support issues noted above apply at home.

If your 15 year old sees Garageband and iLife4, it is entirely end of story. That is breakthrough software for the creative from kid to pro.

Core biz software looks the same on both platforms - Mac features usally one slight gen ahead in the case of Office.
Filemaker is totaly cross platform so I would ignore that factor.

and in case I forgot - no viruses ;) :cool:

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
i'm with MacDoc here in the hugest ways. If most are still not sold on the Mac after a quick h/w comparaison, I feel that iLife04 will end all issues: it's a wrap. GarageBand has not even landed yet, so the effect has yet to be felt, but barring all v1.0 issues, I think this will cause a stir everywhere it hits on God's Green earth. Classroom presents will never be the same.

But she and my smaller kid (5) are growing up in a PC world... So I worry I am confusing her little mind if I get a Mac.
I liken this to a child growing up in a 2+ language household/enviro. No issues. They will learn, and really, they might even thank you for it l8r. I was a very young french kid trying to play with all the other english speaking kids around the block. Years l8r, all I hear is how lucky I am to be able to speak french - most don't even realize that english is my 2nd lang. ¿Está Claro? The'll likely be surrounded by PCs, so why not offer something different @ home??

Mac it shoulb be. ;)

h!

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
I started on an Apple IIc in high school, started on a dumb terminal and then Macs in University, and used a dumb terminal and then a PC at work. It didn't take me too long to learn TSO on a dumb terminal, and it didn't take too long for me to learn how to use a PC (then again in University I programmed in just about every programming language you can name except C). I probably learned how to use a PC faster than those who never used a PC or Mac. Young people can learn fairly easy, so in my opinion it doesn't matter what computer and OS they use.

·
Premium Member
30,887 Posts
"so in my opinion it doesn't matter what computer and OS they use."

It matters to Dad....'specially when it's broke. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,779 Posts
"It matters to Dad....'specially when it's broke"

Precisely why I switched in the first place. However, the culprit was the adult in my life (Wife). I can't even get my hands on the Mac anymore between my wife and son even though they have a PC to use. That about sums it up, Don't you think?

·
Premium Member
3,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well thanks for the reasurrance. Looks like most of you agree that being cross platform capable can only be good...and I agree that as far as creativity goes mac wins easily.

As MacDoc is at pains to point out, another big advantage is the simple reliability of the Mac OS.

So now I start shopping......

·
Registered
100 Posts
Here's a link to a site that deserves attention in discussions like this. Some citizen's of New York State got upset when the school officials decided to make M$ Windows the standard for the board. They put up this site to ensure that the issues would be presented clearly and honestly. A lot of information is available here, but the conclusion is simple – buy a mac.

PC's in the Schools

;)

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
I think that the line, "Give them a PC , so they can work in the business world" is a fallacy. If someone wanted to get into IT itself, then I would suggest a PC. For all other workers, mac or PC will do. Why? Because, when a PC breaks in a network, YOU'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO TOUCH IT! :D the IT guy comes in a wrangles the beast to the floor. You're the "end-user". So, aside from learning how to troubleshoot a PC (and who'd want to wish that on even their worst enemy), there's no difference. So, taking that out of the equation, you're left with a platform with no viruses, much more carefully designed for security, easier to use, FUN to use, more robust and MORE stable (anybody HAD to routinely reinstall OS X every six or so months, even just to make it "feel right again"? Hands please? Didn't think so).

Here's another aspect related to kids: even though P2P programs, such as Limewire, Acquisition and many others exist for the Mac, if all their friends are using Windows, then your kid is out of their software stealing loop. On the other hand, they'll also have to deal with the mass ignorance and misperceptions that exists in PC users' minds about Macs. Also, seeing ass kids are very adventurous with files on their computers, you don't want to live through trying to keep a PC from infection than a Mac -- even if your kid DOES download warez and such.

Although there are lots of games for the Mac platform, your kid will be using the Mac more for work and creation than games. (I got no rationale for this one, though)

As for software, check out Apple's software guide to see what's out there:

http://guide.apple.com/ussoftware.lasso

1 - 16 of 16 Posts