Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
MacPro 1,1 running Snow Leopard this morning had 4 sudden restarts. No big memory suckers, running, fans idle. Not seeing any signs of power fluctuations. No recent OS or security upgrades.

Log says: "hidd died". Not really sure what that means.

Are we talking something fatal waiting in the wings??

Any info on what is likely the cause??

Clock battery was good but I replaced it anyways. Also blew the dust out. Has not yet recurred but keeping fingers crossed.

·
Premium Member
5,421 Posts
No answer for you but I did google search it and came up with this explanation of what HIDD is:

"The hidd service is the Human Interface DeviceDaemon. In fact, the hidd service is required for your Mac to operate properly as it is responsible for the operation of any human input devices, such as your mouse (or trackpad on a MacBook) or keyboard!

It is a very important process. If you are experiencing high CPU or memory utilization from hidd, you may want to restart your computer.

Note: If the hidd process is killed, it will restart immediately."

So if it quits the computer restarts. Have you tried verifying and repairing permissions with Disk Utility?

·
Premium Member
17,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did remove and replace the video card and of course the display cable at the card. That should have helped any weak connections there. So far no recurrences.

Don't see it as a permissions issue, but stranger things have happened. Have held back doing the maintenance scripts as I did not want to risk losing the logs. That will be the next step, but my gut is saying hardware issue. Just not sure where to look.

·
Premium Member
15,694 Posts
but my gut is saying hardware issue. Just not sure where to look.

I don't know and I'm not that familiar with the quirks of thos Mac models, but were't their power supplies reknown for failing and causing goofy problems???

Just a thought.

PS: You do have a current working backup clone I trust!!!

- Patrick
======

·
Premium Member
17,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't know and I'm not that familiar with the quirks of thos Mac models, but were't their power supplies reknown for failing and causing goofy problems???

Just a thought.

PS: You do have a current working backup clone I trust!!!

- Patrick
======
This one has been rock solid over the five years I have owned it. Knock on wood, cleaning the various contacts and blowing out the dust seems to have done the trick for the moment.

Always solidly backed up, but I am pretty sure whatever is happening will not kill the HD.

·
Premium Member
15,694 Posts
Knock on wood, cleaning the various contacts and blowing out the dust seems to have done the trick for the moment.

Good to read it's working well, and yup, it pays to keep things clean and dust free.

- Patrick
======

·
Premium Member
17,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well that held for exactly one week.:ptptptptp Not sure where to go from here. I think I can still get power supply kits, if that is where the problem is. Could it also be in the logic board?

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts
I would consider what Wonderings has noted about HIDD. In that case, the first thing to try would be a different keyboard and mouse for a while.

You could have an intermittent short in your current keyboard or mouse, that craps out the HIDD, and causes the sudden restart.

·
Premium Member
17,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The mouse seems a possible culprit. Dates back to the eMac as the wife likes the single button design. She uses it more than I and does not seem to be having any problems. So maybe I just have a heavier hand or it might be a problem preference file in my profile.

If either speculation is accurate it means the issue is not likely fatal which is good news as it is my preferred computer.

·
Premium Member
1,403 Posts
You might find a conflict in you kernel extensions.
Please open a Terminal and insert the command:

Code:
kextstat | grep -v com.apple
This will list all of your non- Apple kernel extensions. Please list the output here.

Otherwise, please run an Etrecheck report & post its output here.

Last summer, my MBP was also victim to random shutdowns aka kernel panics.

But, at the time I was playing around with various drivers for audio interfaces.

I've never known the actual cause of these panics and then again, perusing Console reports can drive you crazy in the end.

My 2007 MBP has been stable once again after summer- touch wood. Thermal issue? Don't think so.
Issue of connecting & testing a defective MOTU audio interface? Seems more likely.

Seems your system is halting on some incompatibility. Try:

- running your Mac with Bluetooth switched off. Or keep all iDevices well out of BT range.
- running your Mac without any peripherals attached, except for a USB Keyboard & mouse. If this works, add peripherals step by step so as to isolate the offending USB device from it.
- instigating a new user account. Conflicting kexts wil not happen in a new account, as it will have an empty or different kext set.
- removing the entire list of networked devices in System Preferences > Network.
This list can get cluttered nowadays, and removing devices from the list will not hinder their functionality: upon reconnection they will automatically reappear.
- a Safe Boot ( pressing the "shift" key just after the boot chime): this will empty some System Caches, perform a hardware test & run your Mac without unnecessary kernel extensions and/or drivers.

Well, that is about all the advice I can come up with tonight.

The best of luck!

·
Registered
466 Posts
Just having a flashback to a similar restarting problem I had - how about changing the watch battery on the motherboard? For a 2006 machine it's worth the couple of bucks.

·
Premium Member
17,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Done that off the top.

Old battery was reading 3.23V but swapped out regardless.

·
Premium Member
17,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Pretty sure the problem is the mouse. It's starting to work like one of the old ball varieties that has grunge gumming up the rollers. Sadly no rollers to clean on the laser style mouse.

Don't suppose any one has a one button white Apple mouse in good working order they would part with. Wife much prefers that style and she uses this computer a lot more than I do.

·
Premium Member
15,694 Posts
Don't suppose any one has a one button white Apple mouse in good working order they would part with. Wife much prefers that style and she uses this computer a lot more than I do.

I just can't imagine how inefficient being limited to using a single mouse button would be, but regardless, to do so, just use the Mouse System Pref and set both buttons to left-click/single-click or whatever you are offered to make them do the same single-click action.

Shudder… but should work…

- Patrick
======

·
Premium Member
17,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just can't imagine how inefficient being limited to using a single mouse button would be, but regardless, to do so, just use the Mouse System Pref and set both buttons to left-click/single-click or whatever you are offered to make them do the same single-click action.

Shudder… but should work…

- Patrick
======
The control key turns a left click to a right click. Truth is, that was one of the beauties of the early Mac systems. You could easily navigate without having to remember the right click routine for this that and whatever.

·
Premium Member
15,694 Posts
The control key turns a left click to a right click. Truth is, that was one of the beauties of the early Mac systems. You could easily navigate without having to remember the right click routine for this that and whatever.

Sorry that doesn't work, my old wired single "button" apple mouse sits unused in a draw, just in case, and much prefer the Logitech M705 wireless mouse that has it's own better optional system pref, and I thought the apple mouse pref had better options for its key clicks.

PS: I'm sure I saw a single button mouse at our local Dollar Den Store for under $10.00.
I never did like any apple mouse. They never worked properly for me, including the old horrible hockey mouse and especially their later electronic type button mouses.

- Patrick
======

·
Premium Member
17,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Have you tried parking

com.apple.driver.AppleHIDMouse.plist

on the desktop and restarting? This .plist may have turned haywire/ gone corrupt.
Upon restart a new .plist will create itself automatically, as you well know.

Good luck!

Also see:

https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/202534/where-does-os-x-store-usb-mouse-plist
Thanks for the suggestion.

That pref file or something similar does not seem to exist in Snow Leopard. Did both a manual search and tried EasyFind just in case it was an invisible.

Did a minor change of tracking speed and that seemed to be reflected in the GlobalPreferences.plist and/or SytemPreferences.plist file(s)

·
Premium Member
1,403 Posts
Have you tried using Terminal? The post in the link said that .plist was invisible in the finder, but visible through Terminal.

Code:
CD /dev
next:

Code:
ls ~/Library/Preferences/ | grep driver
Good luck!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts