Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Banned
7,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This man is truly a moron...
Canada's Foreign Affairs Minister Peter MacKay is dismissing Russian claims to vast swaths of the resource-rich Arctic, calling their flag-planting tactics "just a show."

Russian explorers dived deep below the North Pole in a submersible on Thursday and planted a national flag on the seabed to stake a symbolic claim to the oil and gas wealth beneath the Arctic Ocean.

"Look, this isn't the 15th century. You can't go around the world and just plant flags and say 'We're claiming this territory,'" MacKay told CTV's Question Period co-host Jane Taber.

"What Russia is doing in terms of collecting scientific evidence concerning the character of the seabed is actually part of a process at the United Nations whereby countries can claim continental shelves beyond the 320-kilometre mark," Byers said.

Moscow has claimed the polar region since at the least the days of the Bolsheviks.
CTV.ca | MacKay dismisses Russia's Arctic claim

Wonder what Canada is doing?

ohh and Pete, some dude in funny pants dropped a French flag in my neck of the woods in 1534 (the 16th century)....

·
Premium Member
8,903 Posts
I saw the interview and understand the point that he was trying to make, but he did it quite poorly, particularly considering what However pointed out and their bragging about buying ships to enforce our claims.

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
I saw the interview and understand the point that he was trying to make, but he did it quite poorly, particularly considering what However pointed out and their bragging about buying ships to enforce our claims.
give the guy a break
he's still getting over belinda and connie (rice, not black - oh wait, that could be confusing)
:D

·
Banned
7,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
He was a lawyer after all and given that the administration he belongs to uses symbolism effectively, it is twice as stupid on his part.

At least the Russians are doing something to stake their claim, Canada, meh?

·
Banned
7,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So, aside from shellacking this guy...what are you all saying? That Canada should let the Russians have the place or not?
Canada's New Government refuses to answer that.
What Canada's New Government says is saying don't worry and don't ask too many questions. We are great.

·
Premium Member
6,590 Posts
Whichever countries secure the questionable "right" to rape the Arctic has everything to do with who among the pack has the biggest cojones and the most muscle. Everything else is just symbolic photo opps and other grandstanding.

·
Banned
7,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
And Canada's old Gov't did what exactly? Right they were too busy getting theirs.
Canada's New Gov't does blame all our woes on the Lieberals.

Now please excuse us while we help Quebec get richer. Please don't ask too many questions about our record spending and the fact that we are so bloated (it's hard to employ so many friends).

Now please don't ask too many questions and trust us when we say that all is fine. Remember it's all the fault of the Lieberals.

·
Premium Member
2,670 Posts
Canada's New Gov't does blame all our woes on the Lieberals.
How is this any different than any other party in the past.

Now please excuse us while we help Quebec get richer. Please don't ask too many questions about our record spending and the fact that we are so bloated (it's hard to employ so many friends).
Again, different how?

Now please don't ask too many questions and trust us when we say that all is fine. Remember it's all the fault of the Lieberals.
None of the previous gov'ts have thought to look at this, we've been a nation for how long? At least it is being looked at now, and I doubt this would be delt with any differently, no matter what political party is in power. This is a tread lightly situation that isn't going to be solved over night.

·
Banned
7,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Canada's New Gov't does not discuss with peasants. Just trust us and don't ask too many questions.

·
Registered
835 Posts
One of the reasons Russia pulled this stunt is probably because they have until 2009 to submit evidence to back up their claim to a UN committee. Canada has until 2013 to document any claims. I would rather the Canadian government take its time get our claim properly documented rather that grandstanding. I would, however, be more reassured if Harper had announced the construction of a few polar icebreakers capable of to operating in Arctic waters year round rather than the reinforced naval ships only capable of operating for part of the year.

·
Premium Member
3,354 Posts
I would, however, be more reassured if Harper had announced the construction of a few polar icebreakers capable of to operating in Arctic waters year round rather than the reinforced naval ships only capable of operating for part of the year.
Are you saying that Canada should fight if it comes down to it? Or play bumper-icebreakers?

·
Premium Member
6,590 Posts
It's not so blackly humorous or bizarre as all that. There's 'gold' under them thar ice floes. The value of which will become all the more apparent in the coming years, as the world gets dirtier... and its dominant species just grows that much more desperate.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts