Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My MBP won't wake up. running 10.7.3 If I leave my computer running and it goes to sleep I can't get it to wake It still appears to be running I can hear the HD spinning and if I look at the screen in the proper light I see the desktop. When I hit a key, the keyboard lights but no screen.
It's as if the screen backlight doesn't come on.
I have to do a hard close and then when I start up again all the windows and programs that were running boot up and I have to reenter my Mail passwords. Total PITA I asked on Apples forum and others have the same deal but no resolution.

·
R.I.P. Don - 06/21/2020
86,927 Posts
The rather obscure term gbar is the poster's shorthand way of suggesting you make an appointment at the 'Genius Bar' and take your Mac in to the Apple Store (likely in Calgary for you). They will have a look and advise what is wrong. Since you don't say if your Mac is under warranty or not, it's tough to predict what the result might be. You can make the appointment online here:

Apple (Canada) - Apple Store Market Mall - Apple Retail Store

·
Premium Member
18,007 Posts
HughB, this may or may not be useful to you: My late-2008 MacBook (Aluminium, non-pro) exhibited precisely this behaviour. You describe it as "not waking up" but in fact it *is* waking up... as your surmise, your backlight is not coming on.

In my case, the backlight works fine... when it works. I've always thought it must be some kind of software glitch, because I *can* make it come on by doing the following:

1/ close the lid.
2/ wait for the sleep light to pulse
3/ open the lid (and press a key, depending on how you have your preferences for wakeup set)
4/ if backlight doesn't come on, repeat.

When the backlight isn't running, you can use a flashlight to show you the screen and confirm that it's up-and-running, mouse pointer moves, etc.

From years of dealing with this, and searching online forums, I've yet to find a proper explanation for this problem. IF you do go to a Genius, and find resolution, please share...

·
Registered
178 Posts
I "had" this same problem with my MBP (2007 model year), though it's been a few months since the last time it happened.

I have no proof, just an observation at the time, but it seemed to happen more often when I had one or more of the Adobe CS4 Apps (Dreamweaver or Photoshop) running when the screen went to sleep.

Lately I haven't been running the CS4 apps for any long period of time, so maybe that's why I don't have the same issue. Maybe it was fixed during a recent Lion update. Either way, it was very annoying, but seems to have resolved itself for the time being.

If you do ever discover what the issue is, please do share.

Cheers

·
You are just an illusion
2,856 Posts
I've had this occurrence on my late 07 macbook, which did not have LED back light.. closing the lid to allow it to sleep and waking it up again brings it back. But i never had actual issues with this as it would happen only once in a couple months.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.