Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife's Macbook has 1GB RAM that reads DDR2 533mhz(speed). Then, I was trying to install another 1GB that according to the sticker it's a DDR2-667 KINGMAX... didn't work!:( This one was installed in my macbook pro c2d and worked fine. Now it doesn't work in my wife's macbook. XX)

I tried just the KINGMAX DDR2667 in and I got a blinking power. I put back the original 1GB, and it worked fine again.

Can anybody tell me why the KINGMAX didn't work? thanks.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Put it back into the MacBook Pro and see if it works. If it doesn't, the RAM is toasted. Make use of its lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
HEre's what my wife's current RAM

I did a quick research and it looks like the ram installed is a PC4200 DDR2-533mhz

MAcbook's proc: 2.0 Ghz Core duo
Apple MacBook "Core Duo" 2.0 13" (White) Specs (MacBook - MA255LL/A) @ EveryMac.com

based on this site, this macbook can take a DDR2-PC5300 667mhz and KingMax falls to this category.

I put the RAM back to my macbook pro and it worked fine. I tried it again on the macbook and all I got was a blinking LED power and no screen.

Does this mean, this macbook falls into what you guys say Macs are picky with RAM? XX)

·
Premium Member
3,899 Posts
Well, if it is really 533 MHz, the current RAM in the MacBook is under spec, and should not have been installed. That's the first culprit to suspect, there. Your machine is running slower than it should.

Then, the Kingmax 667 maybe is not programmed correctly to operate at 533 MHz (which according to the standards it should be, but some manufacturers don't bother, guessing it will only be used at the speed it was labelled as.)

Neither of these 2 modules were purchased as Mac compatiblity guaranteed, were they? If they were, then send the 533 back for replacement with a 667 module.

·
Premium Member
3,899 Posts
Also, when you install into the MacBook, it takes a surprising amount of pressure to install the RAM properly. When you push it in, it will go in about 1 inch then stop. It's not installed yet. You need to get both thumbs on it and push it in another 1/8" to seat the pins into the contacts. If you are only partialy seated, then it will fail to boot and just give you a black screen with a pulsing power light.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts