Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello, i just purchased a macbook and it should be in soon. I have used pcs all my life and just recently made the switch to mac. I have a wired router that goes to the main desktop and another computer. I was wondering if i could use the airport express router and plug in the ethernet cable that goes to the secondary pc to have wireless internet in my house. what i am trying to ask is. does the ethernet cable that goes into the airport express have to be straight from the modem or can it be from a wired router. if i am unclear please tell me. thanks,
new mac user

·
Registered
212 Posts
Welcome bhill 13,
I am assuming you're talking about the Airport extreme base station? If so, connect your modem directly to the base station and then your ethernet cables to the ports on the back of the base station. Unless you have more desktops than ports, you should not need your old router anymore - unless there is a physical location problem. This way, all of your computers can share the network and even a printer.

·
tilting at windmills
3,671 Posts
Welcome bhill :)

My set-up is exactly the way you described. I have a Linux PC and a Mac Mini hooked to a wired Netgear router. I also have a MacBook and an Airport Express. The Airport Express is hooked up to the Netgear router with n Ethernet cable and the MacBook is of course wireless. Everything works perfectly.

The only issue I have is that I cannot see the MacBook from the other machines and I cannot see the other machines from the MacBook, but I have always had problems with one machine seeing another, even in the case of wired networks.

Somehow, the "just-works-out-of-the-box" peer-to-peer networking of the Macintosh has NEVER worked for me.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
12,073 Posts
Somehow, the "just-works-out-of-the-box" peer-to-peer networking of the Macintosh has NEVER worked for me.
That could be due to a problem known as "double NAT."

In the network setup you describe, the Airport Express should be re-configured to act as a wireless SWITCH, rather than a router. Your router is already assigning IP addresses, and so is the Airport, which can cause conflicts and weirdness sometimes.

You can test to see if I'm right (which I may not be, there could be other causes for this) by seeing if the machines that are connected to the "old" router can all "see" each other (I'm assuming you have turned on some form of sharing), but can't see any machines on the Airport, and vice versa. If that's the case, double NAT is the problem. Essentially, you've set up two networks that only talk to each other for internet and nothing else.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thank you macinguelph and tilt. And i am not to familiar with the products as of yet just internet browsing but the one i was going to go with is the airport express which looks like the ipod charger? would it be better to spend the extra cash and get the extreme base instead?

·
tilting at windmills
3,671 Posts
Thanks Chas :)

My trouble is that my Mac Mini and the Linux PC, both on wired network connected to the same router, do not see each other. I am aware that the Airport Express inserts another level of complexity and I am OK with that.

As for turning on some kind of sharing, I have not done anything other than plug the machines in. From what I have heard, Macs should be able to see other machines out of the box, and I am just using everything out of the box with default settings.

The reason I have not bothered with this even after three years of using Macs is that I really do not need the machines to see one another. On the very rare occasion that I need to move a file from one machine to another, I use the low-tech sneakernet and I am happy with that for now :)

Cheers

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.