Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, I'm in need of some advice from the Apple savvy.

I currently have around $1300 saved up and I would like to know if I should be investing into a Macbook or a Macbook Pro (15"). I would enjoy using this notebook while I'm at College (1.5 hour metro ride home, so I'll be spending most of my day there) for note-taking, web browsing, gaming, etc.

I'm not quite sure whether or not I'd like to put in some more money into a Pro, to receive a nice video card, or to get a Macbook with a stylish case and a nice form-factor.

Are there any noticable physical differences besides the asthetics? Weight, size, etc? Should I invest in a MBP > MB or MB > MBP?

P.S: I get Canadian College discount

(Gaming style would be about.. Starcraft II at its release!)

·
Premium Member
17,998 Posts
Heh - there must be about a dozen of these "MacBook or MacBook Pro?" threads in here....

Personally? I'd say go for the MacBook. The case is far more rugged for frequent travel than the MBP, and it's 'way more power than most of us need, even with the Intel Shared Graphics. Whatever $$ you save in buying the MB in place of the MBP, put it into upping the RAM to 2-gigs, buying a portable backup drive, and - essential! - buying a very good case for your new baby.

Otherwise, you end up blowing your limited $$ on a "better" computer, but don't realize the benefits of more memory, have no (?) backup option, and a more expensive computer without very good portable protection.

;)
M

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Heh - there must be about a dozen of these "MacBook or MacBook Pro?" threads in here....

Personally? I'd say go for the MacBook. The case is far more rugged for frequent travel than the MBP, and it's 'way more power than most of us need, even with the Intel Shared Graphics. Whatever $$ you save in buying the MB in place of the MBP, put it into upping the RAM to 2-gigs, buying a portable backup drive, and - essential! - buying a very good case for your new baby.

Otherwise, you end up blowing your limited $$ on a "better" computer, but don't realize the benefits of more memory, have no (?) backup option, and a more expensive computer without very good portable protection.

;)
M
Ah thanks for your input. What can the Intel Shared Graphics manage with? A game such as.. World of Warcraft? (For comparison purposes only!)

Also, is there a significant difference in weight? Thickness?

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
If you're looking to game decently, you'll probably have to opt for the MacBook Pro.

Also, make sure you budget at some time within the initial warranty period for Apple's extended warranty!

Keep in mind that you can also save some money -- A LOT OF IT for the warranty -- via the Apple Educational Store.

Here are some benchmarks just released comparing the BRAND NEW MacBook Pros, the previous MacBook Pros and the current MacBooks:

GAMING:
http://www.barefeats.com/santarosa.html

http://www.barefeats.com/rosa02.html

http://www.macworld.com/2007/06/firstlooks/mbpbench/index.php?lsrc=mwrss

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, I consider Extended Warranty absolutely necessary in the purchase, and I'm using the educational discount (of about $300? + free ipod nano mail-in).

I don't plan on gaming often with it, as I have an iMac 24" at home. It would just be my computer on-the-go when I'm stuck in 3 hour long breaks at school.

I find the insides of the Macbook Pro most appealing, but the Macbook's casing more stylish.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Playing World of Warcraft on a macbook (which I do:lmao:) is a very noisy experience. Average framerate is at about 20-30. Dropping to about 12-17 in major areas such as infront of the Auction house in Ironforge or Stormwind City.

Graphic details are mostly low to medium..and the macbook fan (using istat pro) is usually at maximum. (~6200rpm)

It is playable, I mean I played it on nothing else for...7 months now and never complained.

Edit : This is running a 1.83 macbook Core Duo 1gb RAM.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.