Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright , im sure this question has been asked umpteenth times , but everyones situation is different so bear with me

In lieu of my Macbooks untimely demise "RIP November 8th 2006 - April 23rd 2007

I have decided....with much reluctance of my friends and family to purchase a new Macbook/Pro

Im a student , I web surf , download loads of music (legally) and videos ( not so legally). I use iPhoto , Photoshop ( VERY LIGHTLY) , iMovie ( more and more everyday) and I would really like to get into serious photography as soon as i buy a D SLR & Aperture ( which wont happen soon due to this new macbook purchase)

I also plan to use Windows XP for Gaming , specifically Counterstrike : Source and HL2 .

I was using a Macbook C2D 1GB RAM 2.0 , I was happy with its speed , imovie had some lag but was livable. But never tried the gaming thing or any professional apps ( that I would really like to learn)

I have a 19inch external set up for the macbook , but want to move upto a larger display.

So , without much further ado

Macbook
* 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
* 1GB memory
* 80GB hard drive1
* Double-layer SuperDrive

Ships: 1-2 business days
Free Shipping
$1,350.00

OR

Macbook Pro

* 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
* 1440 x 900 pixels
* 1GB memory
* 120GB hard drive1
* 6x double-layer SuperDrive
* ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 graphics with 128MB SDRAM

Ships: 1-2 business days
Free Shipping
$1,999.00

What purchase would you recommend , keeping in mind this would be done on a loan from family and paid off with a student job.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Buy refurbished if you can, much more attractive pricing.

That said, I would buy the MacBook on price alone. For what you're doing, it will perform fine (though not brilliantly). Take the money you save to buy more RAM and a bigger display, since you expressed interest in that.

The smaller form factor is also very good for portable computing.

That said, if you do get into digital photography, you might come to appreciate the Pro more. You'll likely end up using Photoshop more, and might want the extra power. However, as you say, that is in the future (and even farther away if you go Pro, I presume ;)), and in the interim the MB will be fine. It will probably continue to be fine in the future, too.

·
Registered
781 Posts
From my understanding, the Pro will drive a larger external monitor (it outputs higher resolution), and is also capable of driving dual external monitors. The MacBook could not run (for example) Apple's 30" display, nor can it run dual externals (or at least, not very well).

Might be worth considering: if you plan to keep your existing 19" and add a second external, you'll need the Pro. And that would be an AWESOME setup!

·
Registered
194 Posts
I purchased a 15.4" Macbook Pro last year and for the same uses as you have mentioned. Photography is my main interest and I love the larger display on the MBP. :)

·
Registered
586 Posts
I would go with the MBP. Expecley if you use iMovie a lot, you might want to move up to Final Cut pro at some point which is not officley suported on the MacBook. Also it would offer better performance when gaming.

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
Folks, he said that he also plans to use Windows XP for Gaming , specifically Counterstrike : Source and HL2. That automatically rules out the MacBook. Doesn't it? For everything else, however, the MacBook would be fine (a little cramped on the Photoshop palettes, but it's liveable or completely solvable with an external monitor).

Skip the games, by the MacBook, save your money and perfect your art instead! ;)

·
Registered
470 Posts
If you are going to get into photography seriously do not buy the MacBook. The screen real estate will have you screaming! They are way way too small for Aperture or Lightroom.

Oh, and CS Source flies on a MBP...;)

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you are going to get into photography seriously do not buy the MacBook. The screen real estate will have you screaming! They are way way too small for Aperture or Lightroom.

Oh, and CS Source flies on a MBP...;)
You wouldn't be playing with my emotions would you ;)

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
If you're considering DSLR postproduction - Aperture, PS and the likes; there is no argument.

The fact alone that Aperture needs a little tweak to get it running on the macbook should be hint enough.

I find Aperture and lightroom cramped and slow on my 15" MBP - you'd probably want to kill someone running it in a Macbook

And as for gaming, why are you even asking this question? :)

·
Registered
781 Posts
He said he has an external monitor, and is buying a bigger one, so the screen size issue is moot. That said, the Pro is still probably better suited for his needs.

But more expensive. ;)

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
That said, the Pro is still probably better suited for his needs. But more expensive. ;)
The backlit keyboard is "schwing!" inducing -- er... I mean very practicle.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts