Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi im thinking about buying a new macbook, but to upgrade to 2gb of ram seems expensive off the apple website , and ive found some ram cheaper elsewhere , does anyone know whether my applecare would be void if i upgraded it myself ? Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,415 Posts
Applecare isn't voided, as long as you don't mess anything up when you're inside. (On the MAcBook it's dead easy to upgrade RAM, so messing things up shouldn't be a problem).

The only issue is that the 1GB of RAM that the MacBooks (2.0 versions only) come with are 2 x 512 sticks, so if you want 2 GB you're gonna have to get two 1GB sticks yourself. And Apple loves blaming 3rd party RAM for problems, so if you ever have problems with your MacBook, and you don't have the apple RAM in there, that's one of the first things they'll say is wrong.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
...and you don't have the apple RAM in there, that's one of the first things they'll say is wrong.
Genius bar technicians will blame third-party RAM even if it's not at fault, yet everyone flocks to Apple Stores with their problems regardless. ;)

Most reputable independent AASP's better deal with Macs with problems if they have third-party hardware installed.

·
Premium Member
4,415 Posts
Genius bar technicians will blame third-party RAM even if it's not at fault, yet everyone flocks to Apple Stores with their problems regardless. ;)

Most reputable independent AASP's better deal with Macs with problems if they have third-party hardware installed.
'tis true. But the $40-90 "diagnosis fee" at most indies has people scared maybe? Genius Bars are free, even if your computer's ot in warranty still (for diagnosis at least).

That being said, I've had some excellent service at some indie AASP's before, so I'm not counting them out either.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
it all depends if you don't need a laptop right now and can wait until october
Or whether or not you really mind paying the $149(-ish) for Leopard.

·
Premium Member
6,076 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,076 Posts
I suppose the ram requirements for the newest MacBooks (2.16 Ghz) are the same? I don't like to have to match (2) 1 gig sticks. Is there faster and slower ram (2-2-2- / 3-2-2)?

I'm not sure I understand the last part of your question.

The RAM requirements for the MacBooks have not changed. You don't have to match the sticks, but you do gain (some would say marginal) performance if you match.

·
Premium Member
3,899 Posts
I suppose the ram requirements for the newest MacBooks (2.16 Ghz) are the same? I don't like to have to match (2) 1 gig sticks. Is there faster and slower ram (2-2-2- / 3-2-2)?
2-2-2 / 3-2-2 are latency numbers from PC100 and PC133 RAM.... they do not have any relationship to the DDR2 RAM today

Currently, all DDR2 SODIMMs offered on the market are CAS Latency 5. There are a few manufacturers making full size DIMMs at CL 4, but these are rare and relatively expensive. So from a speed point of view, all DDR2-667 RAM modules that are compatible with the Intel Macs, shoud be running at the exact same speeds.

Keep ... ahem ... looking for better prices than NCIX's current on the Corsair Apple 1 Gb SODIMMs and 2 Gb kits, and 2 Gb SODIMMs, with no mail in rebate hassles.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Canada Ram looks to be a good source for the proper ram. They say sale price, but I'm wondering if it's a big savings. I am also wondering if it's a good idea to jump into upping the ram (actually, replacing both sticks since I want to go for 2 gigs) as soon as I recieve the MacBook. Maybe it's a good idea to put it through its paces first to make sure there are no issues? For a week or more? If I immediately switch both sticks of ram, it may be complicated to contact Apple about any problems that may surface.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.