Hi all

Im going to be picking up my Macbook Pro tommorow

What sort of protection/accessories do you all have

Im planning on buying a Speck case and Pro touch keyboard protector

Anything else I should include

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Best protection: Keep a mental note in the back of your mind at all times reminding you to take extra care of your MBP. No dropping, sliding, scrapping, scratching, and drinking around it. ;)

But yes, a good solid sleeve is a good investment (to slide into a backpack of some sort).

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,940 Posts
I am disappointed in the way the keyboard on my MBP is wearing out. My space bar has a wear spot the size of a dime that is showing black through the silver where my right thumb hits it. Many of my letter keys are beginning to show severe wear as well like the e,s,d,n,a,i etc. This at just over a year old. I got it a year ago April (2006) and it is the first edition 1.83 Ghz model with 80 G HD and superdrive and 2 G of memory.

With AppleCare, nearly $3,000 and the keyboard wears out in 15 months?

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
SINC, request a replacement keyboard with any AASP.

·
Registered
239 Posts
When I first got my MacBook all I bought for it was an Incase bag (not sleeve). I'm very happy with the durability of the bag and would highly recommend one.

After awhile, I had the same thing happen to me as Sinc. I have a black MacBook, and the space bar and palm rests had major wear marks only after a couple months of use. Luckily a part of the mouse button crapped out on me and Apple replaced the ENTIRE keyboard and cover for me under warranty.
The first thing I did when I got it back was purchase an iSkin keyboard cover and Marware palm rest.

·
Registered
33 Posts
When I picked up my 15" MBP (first time Mac user BTW), I went looking for sleeve. I wanted something thin and something that wouldn't scratch up the finish. After looking at all of the alternatives, I chose a Speak See-Thru, clear, although I wanted black which wasn't available at the time. The way I saw it, with all of the times that I would be removing my MBP from the sleeve that there would be an instance where I would end up scratching it, be it on the zipper or a piece of grit that got inside the sleeve. With the Speck, the protection is always on and there would be no chance of me forgetting it (the case) somewhere.

·
Premium Member
3,899 Posts
A nice external firewire drive as a bootable emergency drive and a backup. Superduper to clone and sync.

This is for when, not if, your internal hard drive fails, as every hard drive ever made will do sooner or later. If you are infallibly psychic and you can predict to the week when it would fail, you could put off the purchase. However, then it'll bite you in the @$$ when the MacBook is stolen, or when the internal drive is reformatted in the course of warranty service on something else.... so get the backup drive now.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I am disappointed in the way the keyboard on my MBP is wearing out. My space bar has a wear spot the size of a dime that is showing black through the silver where my right thumb hits it. Many of my letter keys are beginning to show severe wear as well like the e,s,d,n,a,i etc. This at just over a year old. I got it a year ago April (2006) and it is the first edition 1.83 Ghz model with 80 G HD and superdrive and 2 G of memory.

With AppleCare, nearly $3,000 and the keyboard wears out in 15 months?
SINC, I have a brand new keyboard from MBP 2ghz model (US layout) that I don't need. It was a swap from the US model to the french canadian layout. Make me an offer...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts