Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to purchase a refurb Mac laptop. Last week I was within minutes of ordering a refurb Macbook 13 "Air" and then I read Apple would be phasing the "Air" in the near future. So here I am again, still confused, still undecided.

I'm not looking for a full production laptop. All I do is personal photography, use LR/PS, surf, check email and a little volunteer admin work for a group I belong to.

I'm confused with the 2 models; the "Macbook" and the Macbook "Pro" other than the obvious (screen size) what are the main differences and what should I be looking for?

Thanks..

·
Premium Member
6,076 Posts
The MacBook is an iPad with a keyboard. It's underpowered, slow, and annoying to use, but it's very small and lightweight. If you're even contemplating using Lightroom or Photoshop, don't consider the MacBook or Air.

Either go with a current-gen Pro, or a refurb last-gen (before the USB-C ports) Pro.

·
Premium Member
17,980 Posts
I'm looking to purchase a refurb Mac laptop. Last week I was within minutes of ordering a refurb Macbook 13 "Air" and then I read Apple would be phasing the "Air" in the near future. So here I am again, still confused, still undecided..
Why would Apple's "phasing out" of the Air be a factor in your not purchasing a refurb? They'll still provide warranty coverage, service, parts for years to come...

That said, do take John Clay's comments on your needs - processor-power wise, you may need more oomph. If you do go with a refurb Air, though, ensure it's not the base 4-gig RAM model. You'll need at least 8 gigs to be even close to happy with any of Apple's modern versions of OS X, and moreso if you're going to be using heavyweight apps.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts