Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys.
So the notebooks were just updated, and I was wondering if you think they'll be updated again before school starts in September? Do you think so? I was initially going to buy a notebook a week before school starts, but now that they were recently updated and having that iPod sale, I'm considering getting one nowish. What do you think, based on past years?

·
Premium Member
4,415 Posts
I'm saying... somewhere in October. Right after the student discounts are over.
Yeah, I'd say October/November for the next updates -- but wait -- what's on the Intel roadmap? That's probably the best indicator. Isn't the next thing after Santa Rosa, the Montevina platform with Penryn chips? And isn't that not till Jan 08? Maybe that'll be the next update.

EDIT: Did some searching. According to Wikipedia:

wikipedia.org said:
A refresh of the Santa Rosa platform scheduled for release in late 2007 will upgrade Centrino to the 45nm Penryn Processor.
and...

wikipedia said:
The code-name Montevina refers to the fifth-generation Centrino platform, scheduled for release in Q2 2008[9]. Montevina will support Penryn, Intel's 45nm die-shrink version of its current generation of 65nm Core 2 processors.

* The codename Penryn 45nm chip is planned to consume no more than 29W, compared to Merom's 34W TDP, the debut of SSE4.1, which will add 47 new instructions to SSSE3.
* Montevina comprises the Cantiga chipset (with ICH9M southbridge) and with frontside bus speed increase to 1067MHz. The graphics core is expected to be clocked at 475MHz which will contain ten pipelines, up from the GMA 3000's eight.
* New wireless module called Shiloh, which is expected to support WiMAX (802.16) in addition to HSDPA (3.5G), and a LAN controller codenamed Boaz. [3]
* Reports have suggested RAM support for DDR3-800 in preference to the less power-efficient DDR2-800 SODIMM.
I guess there's also updates for MacBooks to *get* to SantaRosa in the pipelines, as well as possibly SantaRosa updates for the MBP to support Robson Turbo memory?

·
Registered
334 Posts
Where are you going to school?

·
Registered
954 Posts
Screw the iPod sale. Wait for the next update and possibly get Leopard and iLife 07, a much better deal in my opinion.

·
Registered
6,500 Posts
If you need it for school you need it for school, don't let the fanboys tell you otherwise. The MacBook Pro as it is right now is an excellent machine, it just got updated and probably won't be updated again until well into your school year. I'd be wise and get it now.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all of your help... Man I was really going for TurboMemory... I wish they updated to it with this update... What are the chances of a ultralightweight?

Yeah, I'd say October/November for the next updates -- but wait -- what's on the Intel roadmap? That's probably the best indicator. Isn't the next thing after Santa Rosa, the Montevina platform with Penryn chips? And isn't that not till Jan 08? Maybe that'll be the next update.

EDIT: Did some searching. According to Wikipedia:

and...

I guess there's also updates for MacBooks to *get* to SantaRosa in the pipelines, as well as possibly SantaRosa updates for the MBP to support Robson Turbo memory?
Dude that's really awesome of you to research that for me! I appreciate it.

Where are you going to school?
University of Western Ontario

·
Premium Member
4,415 Posts
Jackyk: Yeah, But that's in Windows. ;) We haven't seen how it affects OSX (in particular, Leopard... ;) )

Azilnik: UltraPortable... who knows. The Original Rumours had it pegged for late 2007. Dell just released theirs though... it looks pretty sweet.

More pics of the Dell XPS m1330 - Engadget

1 - 11 of 11 Posts