Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
CIO of CYA
3,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apple has released MacBook Pro Software Update 1.0, which "provides important bug fixes and is recommended for all 2.2/2.4GHz MacBook Pro models."

While Apple does not elaborate on the contents of the update, an analysis of the update package indicates that it contains improvements to the graphics subsystem, with updated nVidia graphics drivers and some updated OpenGL components.

Some initial benchmarks of the updated MacBook Pros had indicated some graphics scores lower than its predecesor. This had been speculated to be caused by faulty graphics drivers. This update would seem to be an attempt at correcting these issues.
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=321469

http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/macbookprosoftwareupdate10.html

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
First -- among other things -- 10.4.10 introduced the audio popping... and now there are reports of it pooching some USB disk drivers:
http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?story=20070628092230595

...A BETA version of an application -- Safari -- deletes it's legit predecessor...

These are just two examples of several mishaps in recent months that are attributable to software/system updates.

Given how things have gone recently (have things gotten more rocky since the Intel transition??), you'll probably be SHOCKED to hear that I have become very distrustful of Apple's software updates. The fact that caution -- to this extent -- rules my mind is very disappointing for me. Using a Mac is supposed to be "hassle-free" -- that's the kool-aid we all drink -- but things have seemed to have gotten more rocky in recent months... and I DO NOT like this feeling!

Attached is what I have installed (been a month, now)... and what I'm afraid to install!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,415 Posts
I dunno. I've had none of the problems with 10.4.10 -- no popping on my MBP (at work), MB and iMac (@ Home).

To me it seems like the Interweb exascerbates many problems -- blowing them up and making it seem like many more people are affected with the problem than are actually having any issues.

The MacFixit article lists *two* people are having USB drive problems. Two. Is that really endemic of a huge issue with the software updates of USB? I don't think so. But again, maybe that's me.

·
Premium Member
3,175 Posts
A bad experience with an update does cause a person to become more cautious. I think it was 10.2.8 that gave a lot of grief.

I have never had an issue with any updates.

I have read that issues with apps after updates can be related to having lots of plug-ins for things like browsers, mail apps etc etc.

I also feel its a bit dodgy to complain about issues caused by beta software. it's beta...!!

I don't agree at all that there are more issues than before...I just don't see it. I do see a larger Mac community (just look at ehMac) with lots of new users etc. Whatever percentage had problems before is probably about the same, but in hard numbers there will be more reports because of the larger base.

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
I also feel its a bit dodgy to complain about issues caused by beta software. it's beta...!!
I'm not complaining about the bugs within Safari 3.b. Even though there are some doozies -- it's beta! I'm complaining about the fact that the installer DELETES its perfectly stable and trusted Golden Master predecessor.

The 10.2.x Ethernet debacle is a dim memory to me and -- to me -- there still seems to be an increase in hap-hazard fallout from recent updates. You KNOW I have always kept my ear close to the ground, and I am not even basing my post on personal experience as you guys are. My personal experience is the same as yours. But the opinion of one or two people here does not negate the opinions of those many more "out there" (that's the same argument I give to PeeCee zealots who say that THEY have never been struck by malware)... Even though such problems are not epidemic there are definitely more instances of issues... enough to furrow my brow at Apple -- and that reeeeally puts a damper on my enjoyment of using my Macs. Furrow-free living is one of the joys of using a Mac. Right? :)

Anyhoo, I'm off to Ireland in a week. I'll do a full backup before I go, then see how things are at with all the updates when I get back.

·
Premium Member
3,175 Posts
Even though such problems are not epidemic there are definitely more instances of issues...
As the man said..."we'll just have to agree to disagree agreeably"...I don't think there is any increase that signifies changes in quality. There are more Macs than ever, more users than ever and more importantly more new users than ever. Add to that the reduction in Apple's perceived underdog status and the resulting increase in Apple being held to a higher (impossible?) standard and you will see more negative stuff. Again, just look at how ehMac has grown. A while back it was just Dr G and SJ and now its a busy place.....;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.