Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my daughter who resides in Egypt has a MacBook Pro Model 1150 which at the moment will not turn on. She has tried resetting the PRAM following directions from Mac site but gets no start up chime and no screen display apparently there is a small "ding" sound but nothing else. The white light on the case shows dimly the battery seems to be working because the green lights flash and the AC light is lit. I went on the Mac website to try and find her a dealer in Cairo but they ( Mac ) don't even list the middle east countries?
Any thoughts would be appreciated:confused:

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
If the white light on the front latch is on, then it's already on.

Few things to try:
  1. Turn up the brightness using the F2 key. Might have to press Fn+F2 depending on how the keyboard preference is set.
  2. Force shut it down by pressing and holding the power button for 5 seconds. The *********** light should turn off. Wait 10 seconds, then press the power button again to turn it on. If there is still no video, try messing with the brightness again.
  3. Hook up an external monitor to the DVI port and repeat step 2 if nothing shows up on it at first. This is in case the built-in LCD screen is dead.
Give that a try and post back any results. Good luck.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
If the white light comes on, but doesn't turn back off (and the LCD stays black), the logic board is toasted.

·
Premium Member
3,899 Posts
It woudn't be a horrible idea to remove and reinstall the RAM module(s). If there are more than one, try one at a time. Failing before video can also happen if RAM is only partially inserted in the socket.

·
Registered
294 Posts
my daughter who resides in Egypt has a MacBook Pro Model 1150 which at the moment will not turn on. She has tried resetting the PRAM following directions from Mac site but gets no start up chime and no screen display apparently there is a small "ding" sound but nothing else. The white light on the case shows dimly the battery seems to be working because the green lights flash and the AC light is lit. I went on the Mac website to try and find her a dealer in Cairo but they ( Mac ) don't even list the middle east countries?
Any thoughts would be appreciated:confused:
I know I had a faulty battery at one point and when I tried to reboot my MacBook Pro, it would flash the white light but then die and do nothing. Once I replaced the battery, all was well (I luckily keep a spare with me at all times).

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well "call me Sherman" yours is the only thing we haven't tried yet so I'll send that one to her. To the rest of you folk, THANKS unfortunately none of the remedies worked. Our daughter apparently has hired a new IT man and he has told her that there are two Mac dealers in Cairo so that is where her MacPro is heading. Luckly she has a 14" iBook that is ticking away very nicely

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well folks, I'll give you this as my daughter related it to me,please keep in mind that neither of us is really tech savvy.
First they at the Cairo Mac shop wanted her to take it to Sweden because they cannot do warranty work in Cairo?? Oh! the cost to repair in Egypt pounds 40000( $ 650 Cdn)
Then they asked for permission to do (try) an instrumentation re-boot from the motherboard??
Whatever they did it worked:)
Their take on the problem, taking the computer through x-ray machines in airports - - - magnetic force scrambled the circuits????
They suggested that the computer should be passed around the xray and metal detector in the future. Don't know if this is possible.
End result whatever they did it worked, daughter happy and back up and running, my daughter neglected to tell me if they charged her anything;)

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
Good to hear. I think you can trust the xray machines in the most modern airports with electronics, but older xray equipment, like what might be used in less economically successful countries might not be electronics-friendly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts