Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I find when I pick up my macbook pro, on occasions i hear something tink.. if that makes sense its hard to explain. Sorry for the sketchy explanation but its the best I can give.

·
Premium Member
1,080 Posts
and??? there are a lot of things that could cause it to make a noise, but if the computer is working fine, it's not really a problem. so the short answer is: if it's still working fine, you're better off to keep using it until some actual problem develops because every time you take a computer in for service there's a chance that the service could create an actual usage problem (which is not what you have right now). this is not to make excuses, it's just being realistic. if you buy a new car and find a noise after a couple weeks it's kinda the same thing, the luck of the draw because even things made on an assembly line are slightly different.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah okay thanks. Like if I physically shake it nothing happens, yet if I randomly pick it up it will make a small noise. It kind of reminds me of lime heaters or ratiatiors how they tink when they begin to heat up. Maybe the harddrive?

·
You are just an illusion
2,856 Posts
it could be the shock sensors doing its job... parks the HD when you pick up the laptop..

else, if you have the older gen MBP... it could be the lock hinge on the top of the screen..

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
its a new macbook pro, bought it maybe 2 weeks ago haha

·
Registered
357 Posts
Def. sounds like the Anti-Shock kicking in... Mine does it too, just doing it's job.

Cheers

·
You are just an illusion
2,856 Posts
its a new macbook pro, bought it maybe 2 weeks ago haha
doh! i thought you picked up one of those non-unibody MBP.

in your case, it's just the anti-shock sensor doing its thing..

it does seem to me it is a bit sensitive though, at least, compared to my white macbook

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
The soft tink sound in the 13" MBP is the hard drive's head parking (presumably to conserve power) . Sometime's it is accompanied by a short beachball. In our case the tink sound occurs even when the computer(s) is stationary so it is not being caused by the shock sensor.

It seems to have started around the time of 10.6.2 update.

With my 13" MBP the sound dissaapeared when I installed a new 500 gb Toshiba Hard Drive.

My wifes 13" uMB also started to make the tink sound so I replaced hers with the same model 500 gb Toshiba hard drive and the tink sound stopped on her machine too.

I think it has something to do with the firmware that Apple is installing on the hard drives and their desire to squeeze the maximum battery run time.

Whatever the cause I am happy that our machines are no longer afflicted because even though the tink is very subtle, once you become aware of the sound it's a bit annoying! :mad:

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone. Just wanted to make sure.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.