Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a new Macbook Pro about a week ago, and I noticed a few things. First, sometimes when it starts up rather than seeing the grey screen with the apple on it, it'll just be a plain black screen. It usually will boot up into OS X normally either case however.

Secondly, after it has been asleep for a while (maybe 30 minutes), sometimes when I wake it up the screen remains black, but the computer is awake. I can usually put it back to sleep again and wake it up to get the screen back, but this is annoying behaviour on a brand new computer.

I've gone through all the technical support (reset PMU/PRAM, make sure no other devices are connected, etc.) At this point, they're going to be sending me a new one and I will be shipping this one back.

The problem is that I've read about this type of problem a lot online and I'm worried that the new one will just have the same problem. Is this something common to Macbook Pros that you just have to live with, or is there likely something wrong with my logic board or something that is causing this on my machine? Have others had similar problems like this fixed?

·
Premium Member
931 Posts
me too

I have just purchased a brand new MBP and have a very similar problem...

MBP 15" 2.16
1. black screen after sleeping...
2. when booting up, the first boot fails to illuminate the screen. I power down and restart - everything's fine.

hmmph.

·
Premium Member
931 Posts
This behaviour is consistent so far. If the MBP is off for a while - half an hour or more - the screen will not illuminate on the first boot. I hear the Apple chime but I can't tell whether the computer actually boots up or not. I hold the power button down to shut it down. Restart. On the second boot sometimes I get the grey screen with th Apple logo - sometimes it stays black until the log-in page.

Not nice.

·
Premium Member
931 Posts
Follow up:

called Applecare, tried a few resets etc. but nothing seemed to fix it. Applecare advised me to return it to the dealer and swap for a new one if the problem persisted.

Took it back to Carbon Computers, they tested it and verified the problem... and kindly swapped it for a new MBP immediately. No problems with the new MBP. Thanks Carbon!

·
Premium Member
4,546 Posts
Same thing been happening with mine, but not consistent.. I'm sure if I brought it in I wouldn't be able to get it to do it.... it hasn't bothered me that much. Really, the only time putting it to sleep gave me a black screen was when I had an external monitor adapter plugged in.. unplugging that always brought the screen back to life... other than that, booting up every once in a while just gives me a blank screen and I have to force reboot.... hmmmm

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, mine was not consistent either. I had it hooked up to an external monitor too, so I thought it had something to do with that, but I tried it without and managed to reproduce the black screen. It seemed to occur more often when it had been asleep for a while - I could repeatedly put it to sleep and wake it without a problem.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have my replacement now, and after a few days of use I haven't seen the problem. If it bothers you, you could get it checked out - people I talked to seemed to think it was a problem with the logic board.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.