Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it as good as the old iBooks?

And how hot do they get compared to the iBooks?

TIA

·
Registered
960 Posts
Just had the battery replaced a month ago on my Macbook CoreDuo. It's almost 10 months old and now getting about 3.5 hours with Airport always on while using Safari, Mail and Word. The original battery only offered about 2 hours, if lucky.

Not sure how that compares to an iBook, seeing I have never owned one but happy with the 3+ hours. I am sure I could squeeze many more minutes if I turned off Airport and dimished the brightness.

·
Premium Member
4,415 Posts
Just had the battery replaced a month ago on my Macbook CoreDuo. It's almost 10 months old and now getting about 3.5 hours with Airport always on while using Safari, Mail and Word. The original battery only offered about 2 hours, if lucky.

Not sure how that compares to an iBook, seeing I have never owned one but happy with the 3+ hours. I am sure I could squeeze many more minutes if I turned off Airport and dimished the brightness.
iBooks could get 3-5 hours usually. MB's get much less.

How'd you get your battery replaced, if you don't mind me asking? Just a call to Applecare? I'm lucky to get 2.5 hours on my MB, usually much less.

·
Registered
960 Posts
iBooks could get 3-5 hours usually. MB's get much less.

How'd you get your battery replaced, if you don't mind me asking? Just a call to Applecare? I'm lucky to get 2.5 hours on my MB, usually much less.
I dropped into the Apple Store (Eaton Centre) and waited a few minutes to see a genius. Informed him that I had tried re-calibrating, resetting the PMU and that the battery never got beyond 2 hours of use. He had a look at the battery life, remaining charge capacity (via System Profiler) and luckily for me, he decided to replace it free of charge. The original battery has about 60 cycles on it, which is not much seeing it was about 10 months old.

·
Registered
6,500 Posts
My previous iBook could do 6 hours+ just doing simple stuff (word processing, Quicken) with all wireless off, 5 hours with wireless on and web surfing, and 4 hours playing Unreal 2003 or watching videos.

My MacBook Pro, probably half that. MacBook is still rated at 6 hours battery life

·
Registered
573 Posts
Before I got my MBP I had a MacBook. I found doing word processing/web browsing I got about 3.5hrs of battery life.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So the consensus seems to be about 3.5 hours. Gee, that's not great compared with my iBook, which easily gets 4+ hours on a battery that's pushing a year old.

I'm going to be upgrading within the next 6 months or so. And though I'll be very happy to have a snappy laptop, I'm not looking forward to the downgrade in battery life.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Hopefully the LED backlights help battery life, but I am hearing that Santa Rosa east more juice so the savings might be offset. I miss having an Apple notebook that passes 4 hours away from plugs.

Late model PowerBooks like mine had crummy battery life too. :(

·
Registered
781 Posts
Turning down the screen brightness can have a big effect on battery life. :) But I get about three hours worth of video playback with full brightness, I think.

·
Registered
334 Posts
How can the MacBook possibly compete with the iBook for battery life when the latter's CPU is so much slower, its hard disk 4200rpm (stock), and its LCD so dim? ;)

·
Premium Member
17,999 Posts
It's quite the trade-off, going from what was (for me at least) a very rugged iBook G4 with great battery life to a MacBook with lots of nifty features (iSight top of the list) and speed, but roughly half the battery life I was used to (don't even get me started on the battery problems with the MacBooks).

As for heat... I had never thought that it would be a big deal, but it really is. I could run my iBook on my lap for hours, if need be, knocking off essays. But my MacBook? Uh-uh. Even with it sitting on a book on my lap, the heat gets sufficiently uncomfortable that I find myself having to use a desk. For a fella who did lots of work from the comfort of his bed, on the train, on a plane, etc., this has been a major adjustment.

But.... I still love my MacBook. :)

M

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Ants, so Apple gave you a new battery, but does it perform any better than the original? As I am waiting for my new MacBook to arrive, I can't say I'm thrilled to hear of the battery life. What about those NuPower batteries? Are they out for MacBooks yet? They presumably give you more time.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It's quite the trade-off, going from what was (for me at least) a very rugged iBook G4 with great battery life to a MacBook with lots of nifty features (iSight top of the list) and speed, but roughly half the battery life I was used to (don't even get me started on the battery problems with the MacBooks).

As for heat... I had never thought that it would be a big deal, but it really is. I could run my iBook on my lap for hours, if need be, knocking off essays. But my MacBook? Uh-uh. Even with it sitting on a book on my lap, the heat gets sufficiently uncomfortable that I find myself having to use a desk. For a fella who did lots of work from the comfort of his bed, on the train, on a plane, etc., this has been a major adjustment.
Yeah, it was these two issues that prompted my post in the first place. I've been finding my iBook very limiting of late, but maybe I should hang onto it as long as possible. I wonder if the new 45 nm chips in the pipe will cool things down. But even if they do, they're a ways off yet, I think.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Ants, so Apple gave you a new battery, but does it perform any better than the original? As I am waiting for my new MacBook to arrive, I can't say I'm thrilled to hear of the battery life.
Hard to answer this question seeing the MacBook was a few months old when I purchased it and battery has been through roughly 35-40 recharging cycles by the time I got it. But it never offered more than 2 hours and barely made it through a movie.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.