Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got much of my files transfered over to my MacBook. Thought I'd give some of my impressions or observations. I notice apps that are not universal are noticeably slugish in start up. The fans had come on quite a bit, although they are quiet lately. Not sure if this is because I am using an iSkin over the keyboard. Might be trapping some heat? I like the feel of the keyboard, except I do miss a few strokes every so often with the iSkin on. I would like a FW 800 port. WOuld make copying over a bit quicker, like on my G5. Speaking of G5- I notice my G5 is still snappier overall than the MacBook. Could be the 1.5 gigs of ram in the G5 with only 1 gig in my MacBook. Screen is nice and bright with no uneven lighting. No graininess in the screen that I can detect. No dead pixels, although I haven't used any app to find them. The MagSafe power connector is quite a powerful magnet. Oh- I found only the packing slips in my shipment. I assume Apple sends them separately.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Since I found reading a bit difficult at full resolution, I went down to 1152x720 and found the text awfully muddy or blurry and not nearly as crisp as full screen resolution. Is it supposed to be like that?

·
Registered
954 Posts
What G5 do you have? I have the 17-inch iSight with 1.5GBs of Ram and I ordered a refurbed MacBook. I thought it would be faster.

·
Premium Member
9,103 Posts
Since I found reading a bit difficult at full resolution, I went down to 1152x720 and found the text awfully muddy or blurry and not nearly as crisp as full screen resolution. Is it supposed to be like that?
Depends on the scaling firmware for the screen.
Try some other resolutions to see if you get sharper text.

The quality of the scaling firmware was one of my key criteria when I evaluated 19-inch LCD screen for my desktop - the difference I saw with different LCD monitors was astounding!
Trouble is, with a laptop you don't get a choice of screen with different scaling firmware.

Scaled down text will never be as crisp as text at the native resolution of the screen, but the scaling firmware of different screens will make a difference.

·
Premium Member
9,103 Posts
Wait, so you can run older non-universal apps on an Intel Mac? This I didn't know. So, I could technically run Dreamweaver MX 4 which isn't universal? What's needed for doing that?
Nothing extra - it's built into the Intel Mac.

However, some PPC applications run better than others - Dreamweaver seems to be fine from what I have read. Perhaps others who are using it can comment more.

·
Premium Member
4,415 Posts
What G5 do you have? I have the 17-inch iSight with 1.5GBs of Ram and I ordered a refurbed MacBook. I thought it would be faster.
It must be a Dual Core G5 Tower -- I had a 1.8 Ghz iMac 20" before going to my MacBook and the MacBook ran circles around the iMac and then some.

Dual Core G5s are still great computers -- it's just everyone is going intel.

·
Premium Member
4,415 Posts
Wait, so you can run older non-universal apps on an Intel Mac? This I didn't know. So, I could technically run Dreamweaver MX 4 which isn't universal? What's needed for doing that?
Apple - Rosetta

apple.com/rosetta said:
What about the applications you already own? (PowerPC Ones) Enter Rosetta. You’ll never see it, you’ll never configure it, you’ll never have to think about it. It’s built into Mac OS X to ensure that most of your existing applications live a long and fruitful life.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Depends on the scaling firmware for the screen.
Try some other resolutions to see if you get sharper text.

The quality of the scaling firmware was one of my key criteria when I evaluated 19-inch LCD screen for my desktop - the difference I saw with different LCD monitors was astounding!
Trouble is, with a laptop you don't get a choice of screen with different scaling firmware.

Scaled down text will never be as crisp as text at the native resolution of the screen, but the scaling firmware of different screens will make a difference.
Toshiba had a 15" notebook a few years ago with a 16*12 screen resolution that scaled incredibly well. I have never seen another screen that scaled to lower resolution like that one did.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Back with it this morning. I'm hoping not to spend too much time with it over the long weekend. I was up till 2 this morning. I have noticed that the trackpad will occasionally become unresponsive for a brief moment while I'm using it. It will take a few quck rubs to wake it up. Kind of annoying.

·
Registered
954 Posts
The Macbook should technically be faster than the G5. I have an RMA on the Macbook so I just may return it and wait to see if the MBP updates happen in June.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Back with it this morning. I'm hoping not to spend too much time with it over the long weekend. I was up till 2 this morning. I have noticed that the trackpad will occasionally become unresponsive for a brief moment while I'm using it. It will take a few quck rubs to wake it up. Kind of annoying.
I noticed the same thing. Go to the Keyboard and Mouse System Preference pane and uncheck "ignore accidental trackpad input" under the Trackpad tab. That will make your trackpad MUCH more responsive.

Trev

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
A few more obs. I like how fast the MacBook boots up. Very quick. I don't like the sharp edges where you wrist comes into contact with the MacBook. Feel like I want to smooth it out a bit with a sander. I feel like I am more careful in handling the MacBook than I was with my aluminum Powerbook. Could be because it is so new. With the numerous reports of cracks in the MacBook, I am probably trying to avoid any undue stress. Doesn't look like Apple honors the warranty in many of these situations where cracks are found. The glossy screen- it's okay, but I like the realistic matte finish better.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts