Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HOw oftan does yout fan come on? it's not that hot in our house and yet my fan is going bananas..it's elevated off the desk and everything! I have had macbook fan complaints before and the local Apple dealer thinks it's normal...does your fan run a lot? is it a concern?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Does your fan come on a lot? No! And it is fairly warm and humid in here.

It DOES depend on CPU usage. If running a processor intensive app like a major game, it will come on hard. But just surfing the Web, mostly reading stuff and typing, it only comes on shortly a couple of times a day and not that loud. When the weather was cooler it never came on.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
As explained above, the fan will come on regardless of room or environment if you're running CPU/GPU-extensive applications (unless your room is kept at minus celsius temperatures). Does this situation apply to you? Overall, it's unlikely your unit has a defect, especially as verified by your local AASP. The fan on my Mac mini revs up and down randomly 24 hours a day depending on what it's doing, and isn't a real concern.

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the only program running by the way is Safari....the fan also goes bananas when I am watching a movie on You tube! so is it defective or not? I don't really use intensive programs on it and I was only using safari the other night...

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
You may want to look on the Apple site for directions to resetting the pram (I believe that's the hardware linked to fan control).
It isn't. :) If the hardware requires a reset, you would have to reset the MLB. (which isn't the same as resetting the PRAM in all models and trim levels.)

the only program running by the way is Safari....the fan also goes bananas when I am watching a movie on You tube! so is it defective or not?
Unlikely a defect. Unless your unit is freezing or is otherwise unresponsive, there is no real concern at this point. Similarly, certain web pages on Safari also increase my fan's RPM, and it can't be explained. YouTube content (as well as any video) can also turn the fan on - my Mac mini can again relate. :)

If you really want to be sure, run the AHT a few times on your MacBook. (And by a few times, I mean 3-5 times in a row.)

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
Do you have a usb cable plugged in? (I have a PB so this may this may not apply to MacBooks), .... but I have found that having any USB device plugged into my PB causes the fan speed to increase. I usually unplug the USB when not in use. It takes a couple of minutes before the fan revs up and it also takes a few minutes for the fan to slow down after unplugging the USB. Its kind of annoying actually. Do the MacBooks behave this way? I'd like to know as I'm considering one.

·
Registered
2 Posts
MacBook Fan

If your MacBook or MacBook Pro fan is running all the time at high speed, it might require replacement under warranty by Apple. Get a copy of Hardware Monitor or other hardware checking software and watch the numbers. You'll probably find that the fans never really go below about 1500 rpm in a normal machine, but in one where the fans are spinning "hot", they'll be in the 4,000 to 50000 rpm range. That's when you can hear them. Apple will fix this under warranty.
Also, check your hinges. I have seen a couple of MacBook Pro's that have faulty hinges. You can tell if they're good by closing the lid down to about 2 inches from fully closed. If the computer is fine, it will sit there forever. If it's broken, the lid will quickly fall closed. You might need to squawk a bit to get it repaired, but if you are polite and forceful, you'll save yourself a $400+ repair bill.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts