Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey... I am wondering if someone could please help me figure out why my MacBook battery won't charge? The battery is completely dead... I have it plugged in to AC power and the light is green as it usually is when the battery is fully charged, but where the icon on the screen usually would show the battery life remaining it says (Not Charging). If I unplug the charger, the computer dies. Can anyone help me figure out why I can't charge it?? Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Maybe try buying a new battery?

Trying taking the battery out, and plug the a/c adapter into the macbook and see if it turns on without the battery. If it does, its most likely you need a new battery.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any idea why the battery would just all of a sudden crap out?? It's been fine until now? Computer does work fine when AC is plugged into the computer with battery removed... any idea how expensive new batteries are?

·
Bald by choice
9,055 Posts
before we get too excited, try something simple like resetting the SMC (System Management Controller)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK so I tried the steps below... as per your link (thanks)... but it did not appear to help the problem... My battery display still shows that it is plugged in but says (Not Charging). Any other suggestions??

Shut down the computer.
Disconnect the MagSafe power adapter from the computer, if it's connected.
Remove the battery.
Press and hold the power button for 5 seconds.
Release the power button.
Reconnect the battery and MagSafe power adapter.
Press the power button to turn on the computer.

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Check the plug connector. It has little spring loaded pins inside.. try pushing them down a few times, see if one of them is a little stuck. Might be that, might not be... it's happened to me before though.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I have an older MBP with removable battery and had the same problem a while ago. The mag adapter worked but only had the green light, it would not charge the battery. I replaced the battery with no change, so I bought a new mag power adapter and problem was fixed.

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
I have an older MBP with removable battery and had the same problem a while ago. The mag adapter worked but only had the green light, it would not charge the battery. I replaced the battery with no change, so I bought a new mag power adapter and problem was fixed.
Might have been the same issue as what I posted... coulda saved yourself some $$.
But unplug it first. :D
I didn't (I used something made of plastic though)... :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.