Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, my first post.

I'm a Mac fan, after 18 months of use. I dipped my feet in the water with a G4 iMac (too slow). Then I went to a troublesome G5 iMac, with a major power supply issue that made it by a nose into Apple's extended service for G5 power issues. I got rid of that and went to a 2.16 Core2Duo iMac with 4GB RAM--and I'm in love.

There's my introduction.

I travel a lot and have all but decided to get the Air. I'm thinking of refurbished from Apple online. I noticed that they have the new 1.86 model with a 128 SSD.

See here: Refurbished MacBook Air 1.86GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - Apple Store (Canada)

This surprised me, because if you try to configure a new 1.86 the SSD option isn't there.

See here: Configure - Apple Store (Canada)

Does anybody know what gives? Did Apple build some of the 1.86 with SSD and then decide to dump them refurbished because of some issue?

·
Premium Member
4,415 Posts
The 1.86SSD Model was the old (RevB) model top of the line. The 1.86 SSD used to cost ~$2500 and now in the refurb store costs $1649! :D The Current (RevC) MBA models only have the SSD option on the 2.13 Model.

That being said, Apple prices it's SSD Addons at a premium (especially 'cause the AIR uses a 1.8" SATA Microdrive) - so for $300 more for the SSD option, you're getting what Apple charges for a SSD on a MacBook/Pro for instance and getting the PRocessor bump (virtually) thrown in for free. :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Sorry, sorry, sorry...fyrefly

But the old model was 1.8, the new one is 1.86. If you go to another refurbished 1.8, it cleary says 1.8, not 1.86.

Or were the old 1.8's actual 1.86's?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
More sorry... Just kick me please.

I've compared the tech specs of the 1.86 refurb with the 1.8 refurb, and the 1.86 matches those of the newest generation MB Air--EXCEPT for the 128 SSD--which isn't available as an option on either Apple Canada or Apple US.

Anybody have any insight into this?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Sorriest yet...

First, MORE apologies to fyrefly. :confused: And thanks. You explained it perfectly the frist time through. I just didn't know about the Oct. 08 update.

I just got off the phone with Apple, where the revB and revC versions got me momentarily even more confused.

But because of my confusion, Apple gave me another $50 off the refurbished price. (dropping it down to $1599)

Sweet.

·
Premium Member
4,415 Posts
Glad to hear things got cleared up and that you got a good deal on the refurb! Apple seems really into dropping prices on Refurbs over the phone lately. RFDForums posters have said they've been getting $100 off Refurb unibodies just by asking for it lately!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts