Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, my first post.

I'm a Mac fan, after 18 months of use. I dipped my feet in the water with a G4 iMac (too slow). Then I went to a troublesome G5 iMac, with a major power supply issue that made it by a nose into Apple's extended service for G5 power issues. I got rid of that and went to a 2.16 Core2Duo iMac with 4GB RAM--and I'm in love.

There's my introduction.

I travel a lot and have all but decided to get the Air. I'm thinking of refurbished from Apple online. I noticed that they have the new 1.86 model with a 128 SSD.

See here: Refurbished MacBook Air 1.86GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - Apple Store (Canada)

This surprised me, because if you try to configure a new 1.86 the SSD option isn't there.

See here: Configure - Apple Store (Canada)

Does anybody know what gives? Did Apple build some of the 1.86 with SSD and then decide to dump them refurbished because of some issue?

·
Premium Member
4,415 Posts
The 1.86SSD Model was the old (RevB) model top of the line. The 1.86 SSD used to cost ~$2500 and now in the refurb store costs $1649! :D The Current (RevC) MBA models only have the SSD option on the 2.13 Model.

That being said, Apple prices it's SSD Addons at a premium (especially 'cause the AIR uses a 1.8" SATA Microdrive) - so for $300 more for the SSD option, you're getting what Apple charges for a SSD on a MacBook/Pro for instance and getting the PRocessor bump (virtually) thrown in for free. :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
More sorry... Just kick me please.

I've compared the tech specs of the 1.86 refurb with the 1.8 refurb, and the 1.86 matches those of the newest generation MB Air--EXCEPT for the 128 SSD--which isn't available as an option on either Apple Canada or Apple US.

Anybody have any insight into this?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Sorriest yet...

First, MORE apologies to fyrefly. :confused: And thanks. You explained it perfectly the frist time through. I just didn't know about the Oct. 08 update.

I just got off the phone with Apple, where the revB and revC versions got me momentarily even more confused.

But because of my confusion, Apple gave me another $50 off the refurbished price. (dropping it down to $1599)

Sweet.

·
Premium Member
4,415 Posts
Glad to hear things got cleared up and that you got a good deal on the refurb! Apple seems really into dropping prices on Refurbs over the phone lately. RFDForums posters have said they've been getting $100 off Refurb unibodies just by asking for it lately!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts