Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks,

My wife's MacBook is having some issues. It will not start up with the battery in place. When I start it up you hear the start up tone and then it goes right to sleep. If you take the battery out it works fine.

Once started up without the battery it works fine but if you put the battery back in it goes back to sleep and cannot wake up. Take the battery out and it is fine.

Running OS 10.6.7, 2.16GHz C2D, 2 GB ram

Any thoughts? New battery required?

Cheers,

Mike

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok...I have new information.

I ordered a new battery and installed it today. No change from the above problems. With the battery (old or new) in the computer starts up without the LCD lit. If I remove the battery then the computer is fine and I can work away on it. The minute the battery goes back in the computer screen blacks out and then it goes to sleep.

I reset the SMC, repaired permissions and disk, reset PRAM and nothing seems to work. I ran Tech Tools and everything turns out fine.

Any thoughts?

I have an appointment with the Geniuses at Fairview tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
3,336 Posts
The cable that connects the battery to the logic board also contains the hall effect sensor which controls sleep/wake. I would replace that first, having done all the resets and having ruled out a software issue

·
Premium Member
16,157 Posts
Any bizarre and really way out remote chance that somehow a magnet has glommed onto the batteries being installed to trick the "lid closed" sensor???

I'm sure Lars and broad will choke and gasp with such a suggestion. But, hey, who knows?? ;-)

·
Premium Member
16,157 Posts
I would agree, but I did say ... 'Any bizarre and really way out remote chance...'

Maybe your suggestion to buy a lottery ticket might not be a bad idea. ;-)

A decent win and a few new Macs, and the dream is just beginning... Hmmm... ;-)

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies. Where would one procure the part that you suggest?

I can go online for the repair but where do I get the part?

Cheers,

Mike

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So, Just got back from the Fairview Apple Store and had a great experience! 1st I wanted to get my wife's iPhone 3GS screen replaced as she dropped it and the screen cracked in the corner. Replaced outright with a refurbished one. I had applecare on it so I don't know if that helped but very happy for that one.

2nd. Regarding the issue of the Macbook described in this thread. You were all correct regarding the battery connector. They swapped that out and then because there was a crack on the top case they replaced that too. The best part is they covered it under warranty which I DO NOT HAVE on this machine.

This is why I continue to be an APPLE evangelist!

Thanks everyone. Your info allowed me to speak with the Apple Geniuses with confidence. If I could buy you all a beer I would!

Cheers,

Mike

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.