Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I'm in the middle of deciding what to purchase for my MacBook. I'm going for the middle of the pack book, 2.16GHz, and only 1 Gig of RAM. Can anyone tell me if it's useful to upgrade to 2 Gigs right out of the box? I know 2 Gigs are always better, but does anyone run into problems with just 1 Gig? My plan is to buy a MacBook with 1 Gig and see if it works well enough for me, then upgrade through CanadaRAM to 2 Gigs if need be. I'll be doing typical personal computer stuff (web browsing, presentations, picture editing, iLife, music).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts
you may find that 1GB is enough for you, you have the right idea with tring it out first.

I would say that you would need more ram if you are going to be a number of things at the same time or even if you like to leave your applications all open so it is faster to switch from one app to another.

I upgraded my iMac from 1GB to 2GB about two months after I got it and I was blown away with how much faster it was but I do run about 8-10 apps all day long and a few of them are not intel native.

·
Premium Member
15,709 Posts
Absolutely go with 2GB. RAM is relatively inexpensive these days (my 2 x 1GB RAM for the MacBook cost $230 and six months later, it's what, $80 or $90?).

Go with CanadaRAM or canadacomputers.com or something local but make sure it's tested for your computer or there is a generous return policy, without restocking fee.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I upgraded from 1GB to 2GB a few months ago. I have found a pleasant difference, but not mind-blowing. Although I haven't done anything really intensive since then. It's nice to pull up dashboard and see the free memory in iStat Pro.

I got mine at MacDoc, he gave me a great price on trade for my existing 512MB sticks, and changed it in front of me. Highly recommended.

·
Premium Member
4,415 Posts
If you're just doing iLife and Web Browsing, you should be okay with 1Gig. It is a good idea to go with 1gig and see if it suits you.

Also, Apple's RAM prices are crazy so don't upgrade with them -- upgrade after the fact :D

·
Premium Member
1,060 Posts
When I received my refurb MacBook, there was an extra GB installed that I hadn't anticipated. Maybe you'll get lucky? As such, I can't say what it's like with only 1GB, but I'm not sure I'd want my MacBook to be any slower.

·
Registered
210 Posts
increasing RAM

My 2 cents are that it depends what you are expecting to be doing with your Mac.

If you will be doing a lot of video or picture editing, go for the 2 Gigs of RAM now. Don't forget that upgrading is not that easy on a portable.

·
Premium Member
15,709 Posts
My 2 cents are that it depends what you are expecting to be doing with your Mac.

If you will be doing a lot of video or picture editing, go for the 2 Gigs of RAM now. Don't forget that upgrading is not that easy on a portable.
Not the best advice, and just plain wrong with respect to RAM installation.

Upgrading RAM on a MacBook will take a few minutes--if you haven't done it before, or want to take things slowly. And given how inexpensive it is now to upgrade to 2 x 1GB RAM, it's worth it.

This is a very low proportional expense considering how much a MacBook costs. It's an easy way to make every RAM-intensive process better, whether you are watching youtube videos or processing video.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Not the best advice, and just plain wrong with respect to RAM installation.

Upgrading RAM on a MacBook will take a few minutes--if you haven't done it before, or want to take things slowly. And given how inexpensive it is now to upgrade to 2 x 1GB RAM, it's worth it.

This is a very low proportional expense considering how much a MacBook costs. It's an easy way to make every RAM-intensive process better, whether you are watching youtube videos or processing video.
Agreed completely. I installed the 2 gb ram option in my new Macbook this weekend in a few minutes. Quick and painless.

·
Premium Member
17,999 Posts
Don't forget that upgrading is not that easy on a portable.
Maybe on the old Powerbook 1xx series... but everything from the clamshell iBook onward has ridiculously easy RAM upgrades.

My MacBook's RAM upgrade was very, very easy. Pop out the battery, open a door, slap in a stick, close it up - there you go!

FWIW, given the current prices of two 1-gig sticks, there's really no reason not to upgrade. Anything to keep that spinning beachball of annoyance at bay....

M.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts