Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
via MacWorld UK

How much is that old Mac worth?
New online estimation service Mac2Sell tells people how much second-hand Macs are worth
The online service aims to offer users an accurate estimate of the true secondhand value of their Macs.

Including Canada in French or English.

Users simply need to input the make, processor speed, memory, hard drive and screen size of any Mac, and the site will generate a guide price.

I tried it out, and got a basically good result, at least it might be a starting point.
:greedy:

mac2sell.net - BETA Evaluation

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
My Mac mini below is worth $590 CAD apparently.. I think that's a tad too high..

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
Hmm...

"Your Computer is a
Power Macintosh dual G4 1.25 GHz 2048/260 GB/superdrive
The Mac2Sell Quoted Value of your computer is :
CA$ 1,310"

Any takers at that price :D :lmao: Thats pretty optimistic...maybe it does better on more recent computers. Although it at least gives you a ballpark idea.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Hmm...

"Your Computer is a
Power Macintosh dual G4 1.25 GHz 2048/260 GB/superdrive
The Mac2Sell Quoted Value of your computer is :
CA$ 1,310"

Any takers at that price :D :lmao: Thats pretty optimistic...maybe it does better on more recent computers. Although it at least gives you a ballpark idea.
That's premium dealer pricing for ya! :D

·
Premium Member
4,415 Posts
I wonder... if this is a British site -- they have over-inflated Mac Prices to begin with, and then if the software is converting the Inflated GBP currency to CAD, then we're basically dealing with double inflation. Maybe that accounts for the jump in prices?

·
Premium Member
3,441 Posts
I compared their G5 PowerMac and MacBook Pro prices to what's current on eBay, and I found the Mac2Sell prices were actually pretty accurate. :)

·
Registered
781 Posts
It quoted me $1150 for my CD MacBook 2.0... one could get a refurb C2D MacBook for not much more. Heh.

Still, neat feature, and it is in Beta still...

·
Registered
391 Posts
Gave me $1210 for my Black Macbook C2D.

Pretty fair I'd say.

My G3 iBook 900 14" 640 ram and 60 gig HD was $370 which might be a bit on the low side, but it really all depends on what it's worth to the buyer.

·
Premium Member
31,013 Posts
Aside from brutally slow and some glaring errors

:rolleyes:

it's not far off on mainstream models.

I'm sure it annoys the several lowballers who consistently undervalue the market.

I did a machine we sold today and it came to exactly the price the client happily paid.

BTW Lars we sold 84 G4 MacMinis 512 80 superdrive at $575 last Sept .....demand is STILL high and the two clients that bought were thrilled to get them.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
BTW Lars we sold 84 G4 MacMinis 512 80 superdrive at $575 last Sept .....demand is STILL high and the two clients that bought were thrilled to get them.
Might be good news for me when I intend on selling mine this summer. Interested? ;)

·
Registered
954 Posts
I did a quick test re: Powerbook G4s. They don't seem to distinguish between the hi-res and the base models and remaining applecare isn't factored in, which adds quite a bit of value. Of course, the intent is just to offer a base valuation.

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
macdoc, I think the intel square is used as a generic symbol for the type of processor. The actual type is then written below the symbol, in this case dual G5.

Neat site either way.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts