Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious how many here have .mac memberships and if you would consider it to be worth the cost of a one year membership fee. I guess I'm looking for reasons or examples as to why the service is worth it. Thanks for any help.

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
It depends how many other accounts you already have...

The best value comes from using as many bits as possible. In my case I'm 'just' using isync, calendar publishing, file backup and (soon) antivirus. This makes it worth my while. I have no need for mac mail, web space or publishing iPhoto on my home page.

I just wish that Apple offered multi-user full .Mac accounts...

·
Premium Member
2,465 Posts
I have been a member of .Mac and its predecessor from Day 1, and I plan to renew. I use most (not all) of the services. I think that the value of a .Mac account will increase dramatically when Panther is reloeased.

Cheers :-> Bill

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
I'll renew too but it's not for everyone. I find the syncing to be the most useful feature. I've 5 differnet computers registered to my account and they all have my preferences for bookmarks, calendars, etc. Ditto for my phone, iPod and Palm. I also use the mac.com email account for a bunch of things as its essentially spam-free (amazingly). There are also various sweeteners that Apple throws out occasionally such as offers for free photo printing, games, software, etc. But US$99 ain't cheap so you should weigh up what you need. There are cheaper alternatives for most of the services but none are as seamlessly integrated (by a mile).

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everybody. I guess it's like anything else, worth it if you plan to use it to a certain extent, not just for a mail address, for example. There are some features that I would like to take advantage of. I will just wait a bit until I see exactly how I can see myself using it to my advantage. Do most people use the homepage feature, even to post pics, for example? I appreciate the info, more replies welcome.

·
Premium Member
17,976 Posts
Hey Danette,

I have .Mac (was an original iTools user too).... it will be painful to fork over that $150+ Cdn to renew, but..

I do like having the email [email protected]

I do like the easy integration with iPhoto
(see: http://homepage.mac.com/xxxxx)

The iDisk is marginally useful, particularly as I'm still on dialup, but as a laptop user I can tap into from time to time via WiFi or the university LAN. Plus, under Panther, iDisk could be far more functional (i.e. responsive).

I have installed the anti-virus (Virex), though like most Mac users, don't really see the point ;) (BTW, has anyone figured out what virus #78 -the one that affected the Mac- was called? I couldn't find it in that Sophos report).

And the occasional "gift" in software terms is nice.. though something more useful rather than entertaining would be good.

iSync functionality is _not_ a big thing for me.. my laptop is always with me, and my cell service is not web-enabled.

so - 75% great, 25% take-it-or-leave-it. Might have to sell my Newton to pay for the renewal, though.... anybody want a MessagePad 130, including the Windows connection kit? :eek:

:cool:
M

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
Indispensable:

I am not going to list all the reasons because each reason is a program or service.

Go through the list and if you can use say 3-5 of the features then get it. You will eventually use more and more of the features and they add new ones all the time.

How about the .Mac Bookmarks!
That feature is frikn' awsome. I use it daily.

Here is just a list of 'What's New'

Backup 1.2.3 (July 9)
Mac-to-Mac bookmark syncing (June 3)
New HomePage Templates (May 20)
Mac OS X Jaguar training (March 19)
iDisk Utility for Windows XP (February 25)
Virex 7.2 with eUpdate (February 6)
yadda yadda yadda!

Try it for a year.

Worth every penny!

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
Hey Danette

Any link to the cult 70s chocolate dessert which is still going strong in France?

Regarding .Mac you have a set of well argued alernatives up there. Why not go for the free 60 days and see what happens?

·
Premium Member
1,047 Posts
I'm a former iTools user, but didn't sign up to .Mac because I thought it was overpriced. With the addition of the iLife features, it's gotten better value but not for me.

For how I used iTools (mail, backup, web space) and for the few features they added that I would use, I don't miss it. I even got over not having a @mac e-mail address (that was the hardest).

It depends on what you use, how often you use it and your personal budget (remember there are low cost alternatives available).

They still give free 60-day trials. Try it for 60 days and see how often you use it and what features are important to you. Then decide.

·
Lifetime membership
9,265 Posts
I had an original account when it was free, But
I let it lapse because I never used it.
If it was still free...I'd probably use it now.
Like the song said..."You don't know what you
got till it's gone"

Dave :cool:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts