Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen the details for ".mac" on the apple website but I still can't really figure out what the point is? Don't you get email etc with Jaguar? I use shaw cable for my internet connection and to host my business webpage...do I (or who does) need this .mac??

·
Registered
656 Posts
.mac is a suite of programs available for a yearly fee. these include backup software, virus protection software, "iDisk" (which is basically a small hard drive on apple's servers that you can store files into, and access independently from your own computer), a webpage account thing, and your ".mac" email addy... so you too can be "[email protected]" plus, you get perks here and there (in terms of free other free software, and discounts on certain things just for being a member.

people cried foul when some of these features were previously free under the name "iTools," but i think it's worth the yearly fee. all that sofware costs over and above what they would cost if they were purchased separately.

any thoughts from anybody else?

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
This is just my opinion on the matter, but I found that was able to justify my purchase of a .Mac account for two reasons. First, I needed to be able to effortlessly sync data (address book, iCal, bookmarks) between my fleet. Second, I needed something that could let me post non-business material to a website (photos, etc). In these respects, .Mac is a good buy.

Now for the shortcomings...and there are many. Let's start with the biggest one of all: the price is far too steep at $160. I paid half of that sum, since Apple was offering a half-price promotion last summer.The email address they offer is nice, but then I really didn't need another one...it's more of a cachet to have a .mac address. Anyhow, I'm peeved with it these days since it's being overrun with spam (a discussion for another time).

Another of my quibbles is the lack of value-added features. Backup is an adequate application, but it's far from being secure, so I can't use it as a reliable way to keep copies of invoices and business material. They throw a few extras in as well (games, free prints and Virex) but I've never used any of these.

Like I said...just one guy's opinion. Hope it helps you in your decision.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pamela:
I've seen the details for ".mac" on the apple website but I still can't really figure out what the point is? Don't you get email etc with Jaguar? I use shaw cable for my internet connection and to host my business webpage...do I (or who does) need this .mac??<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Premium Member
17,982 Posts
Pamela,

Particularly for we Canadian users, .mac is a rather costly outlay. Apple had a "deal" on for people who previously held iTools accounts (which were free) and gave us 1/2 off for the first year. Whether I renew my .mac service this fall will depend on a lot of things.

What's good: many of Apple's programs are integrated with .mac. Publishing a photo album from iPhoto onto your .mac website is ridiculously simple, and quite elegant (see http://homepage.mac.com/mrushton )

Apple's Calendaring application, iCal, is also integrated with .mac... you can create a calendar and "publish" it to your .mac website for others (including Windows users) to see ( http://ical.mac.com/mrushton/Cuba32Events ).

Both of these can be done to other non-Mac servers, but doing so is a bit more involved.

There are other benefits, like a free anti-virus utility (Virex 7.2, which is mostly useless for Mac users since there are, to date, no OS X virii to worry about, but I guess it's nice to clean out the PC virus crap so we aren't accused of being "carriers"
).

You also get free software like Dropstuff 7.0 and a couple of games (Alchemy, etc.). All of this is highlighted on the .Mac website http://www.mac.com

There is a basic webpage creation tool ("Homepage"), online storge of 100mb (included) up to a couple of gigs or so ($$) and other stuff... poke around.

:D
M

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
Patrick,

Sorry to hear of your .mac account spam. I don't get *any*. I assumed Apple was using some sort of effective filter on their servers. My work email address gets 50 odd spams a day (thank god for the spam filter in Mail). Might want to talk to Apple about changing your address or use Mail to effectively route out the crap. I guess its the price of fame

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
Sandy, your linked reminded me of the problems of the new Globe and Mail website with Safari rendering. The old version was fine. Don't suppose you can twist the powers that be into fixing it? I sent them an email (and reported it to Apple).

Pamela, if you will use the Apple iApps like iPhoto, iMovie, etc. then .Mac is very convenient for sharing information, movies, pictures for others to view. It's also great for synching data (especially if you have a Sony Ericsson phone like the T68i). However, it isn't a necessary part of the ""Mac experience".

Personally, I think Apple should give away a 12 month .Mac subscription with every new Mac. It offers a lot but you need time to get to know the features.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
used to be jwoodget wrote:
My work email address gets 50 odd spams a day (thank god for the spam filter in Mail).

I found the spam filter in Mail.app to be next to useless. The number of false negatives and positives were high enough that I ended up with a lot of spam in my inbox and a lot of mail in my spambox. I've switched back to using SpamAssassin on my mail server and I'm a lot happier.

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
I like .Mac because it allows me to have a permanent eMail address that won't change no matter what ISP I use. The "loss" of an eMail address is the number one reason why people won't change ISPs. With my current provider, I don't even have an email account set up.

I would have to set up my own domain (and pay similar fees) to do it any other way.

Web-based freemail (like hotmail) is OK, but they generally charge for POP or IMAP access anyway. I use two; but only access them with a browser. Many of these will delete your account and mail if you don't access them within a certain period of time.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I've been using the JunkMail filter in Mail.app since I installed Jaguar, and I'd say it was starting at about 95% accurate. Once I trained it a bit more, I'm very pleased with it's performance.

As well, you can set it up to store Junk mail in a Junk Mail folder and scan the list of emails for any 'false positives'.

I think I've had maybe a dozen false positives in about 6 months...

And I get alot of email.

:cool:

·
Registered
259 Posts
I LOVE having the 100MB that I can access almost anywhere. I was able to send my brother a load (40+MBs) of unicycle movies from the Toronto International Bicycle Show that took place this past weekend. Kris Holm, the king of unicycling was there. The integration in OS X is quite nice and I've also used the Win XP .Mac utility flawlessly with Virtual PC -- good stuff. Chucking up a web page with photos is basically a few clicks -- oh so easy and efficient through iPhoto.

I must say that it will be a bit costly when I have to renew the service in September -- much more so than those who were first to adopt it last year. The only REALLY annoying problem I've had is with .Mac outages, where I cannot access features of .Mac. These outages are rare; however, when it happens it's quite annoying.

Having an email address with @mac.com in it is darn fine too -- sweet 15MB of space. Love it because it's IMAP; therefore, you can access it from anywhere through Webmail online and really helps when installing OS X. Just input the login and password of your .Mac account and automatically your email's back -- no worries of losing important email. Having a @mac.com address touts that one's a Mac user and is proud of it -- better be. :D :D :D

.Mac is worth it. :cool:

Pamela, I just checked your other posting about the LCDs. Since you're getting the 17" Pow' the 23" would be great. Go all out knowing that you've got the best and biggest Apple display (for the time being) -- if you get the 20" and find it's too small uh oh. :( I'm in a pickle too about Apple's displays. I have a new tower right now and am having a tough time deciding what I'll get this year, either two 20"s or one 23".

Good luck on your transition -- switch -- to Apple. Best move I ever made last year. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
gordguide wrote:
I like .Mac because it allows me to have a permanent eMail address that won't change no matter what ISP I use. The "loss" of an eMail address is the number one reason why people won't change ISPs. With my current provider, I don't even have an email account set up.

Pobox.com - Email Forwarding, Personal Domains, Spam Protection offers a "lifetime email address" for 15USD/year. It redirects mail sent to your pobox.com address to any number of mail accounts you specify. (e.g., [email protected] redirects to [email protected]). It also redirects your homepage, too (e.g., flyingmonkeys.org redirects to flyingmonkeys.org

I would have to set up my own domain (and pay similar fees) to do it any other way.

I run my own domain anyway, but I'm crazy that way :D

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
Yes, and I could do the same thing with my current freemail web account (mail.com); but the 'net business is flaky at the best of times; look at @home.

I though about it for a while, mail wasn't the only reason (it's not worth it for that alone). But, for me, it was the clincher.

If Apple goes broke, well then I have bigger problems, and they will help me forget about the mail thing for a little while ;)

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Am I mistaken or doesn't Jaguar come with an email program? Is it inferior?

I just noticed on the .mac website that you can try .mac out for 2 months. I think I'll do that when I get mine. I'd like to test drive it before I spend the money. I want to keep things simple too...having more than one program on my computer that does basically the same thing always bugs me.

·
Registered
401 Posts
If you ordered a 17" Powerbook there might be a new version of the MacOS before ya get it. I'm thinking OS 11.0

Hopefully they get those machines to you guys soon. So I can start drooling...

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've just decided...I wanna be an honourary full citizen of ehmac :mad:

I think I've earned it don't you?? :(

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
Not till you own a Mac
Darn, that would mean we'd have to kick Dr. G. out though.

The Mayor will confer membership status when he gets around to it (its not an automatic process and he's usually got better things to do). But have no fear, no one here pays any attention to status - we are all equals.

But please stop teasing us with all this new gear you are going to buy..... There are people here making do with 8 year old Performas and a pair of matchsticks

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Pam, not sure when the next ceremony will be for citizenship. Should put that out to the Mayor. The Last one was pretty big from what I recall. Anyhow, your time will come, you will get your official papers for sure. ;)

But that 17" must be up and running 1st - I must agree there. :D

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
At the risk of being off-topic, let me answer your question. Jaguar comes with a perfectly fine application, called Mail (I guess Apple invested their money elsewhere as far as creative naming-exercises are concerned).

The .Mac subscription gives you an email account with a .mac address (e.g., [email protected]), whch you can use in Mail or any other email app that supports POP mail (e.g., Entourage X, Outlook Express). If you already have an email account elsewhere, then this is just a nice little extra (as I said before...a cachet).

Have a look at the Apple website http://www.apple.com/macosx/jaguar/mail.html. It'll fill you in on all the details.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pamela:
Am I mistaken or doesn't Jaguar come with an email program? Is it inferior?

I just noticed on the .mac website that you can try .mac out for 2 months. I think I'll do that when I get mine. I'd like to test drive it before I spend the money. I want to keep things simple too...having more than one program on my computer that does basically the same thing always bugs me.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
gordguide wrote:
Yes, and I could do the same thing with my current freemail web account (mail.com); but the 'net business is flaky at the best of times; look at @home.

Ah, but pobox.com is using the quaint business model of providing a service to their customers for a fee! Plus pobox.com has been around for quite a while (1993-1994?) so I'm not too concerned about them disappearing.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts