Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it may be a hot topic, but I registred for the 60 days trial version of .Mac. I must admit I like it so far.

Two question thought :

1) Can I publish my own Website without Homepage? If so, do I need an FTP client?

2) Is it worth it? I mean, it looks fun so far, but does it worth 130 $?

Regards,

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
First your questions:

1) Yes. No FTP client, it uses WebDAV, so you drag your files made on your Mac to your Sites folder in your iDisk.

2) Up to the person. I know for me it is not worth it at all. 3/4 of the features provided I won't use. Its most definitely useful if you use all the features, but I don't.

·
Registered
523 Posts
If you need a lot of webspace .Mac is a GREAT deal. I joined, this year, after looking at my options for hosting >40MB. The rest (software, email etc.) is gravy. I didn't join last year when all I needed was email and a small amount of space, got that from my ISP.

The integration .Mac provides is neat, like between iPhoto and Homepage and syncing calendars etc. Have to ask yourself if you are going to use them, though. If you know what you are doing with HTML, the automated features of Homepage will drive you bonkers and are best avoided.

As chealion states, for DIY'ers, uploading your websites is a simple drag 'n drop operation to your iDisk, just like copying files between two drives.

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
It's worth mentioning that .Mac members get deals on software, including the odd free one. For the most part they're not particularly "high-value" titles, but saving $20 is better than nothing, especially if it's something you need/want.

·
Premium Member
1,047 Posts
This topic comes up every other month, if not more frequently, you could probably use ehMac's search function and come up with a half-dozen or more threads offering good advice and points for consideration.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts